Guide For Working At DaDa
This is a complete guide for those of you that want to work at DaDa. If you’ve not already done so use this link to sign up for DaDa.
See the full job requirements and school reviews of DaDa.
A Summary of DaDa’s Teaching Position
- All DaDa classes are one-on-one.
- Recurring student, you will be teaching your own students weekly.
- You will deliver the lesson via DaDa proprietary online English platform.
- DaDa handles the communication with the parents, so you won’t need to worry about the class arrangement or parent-teacher issue.
- DaDa curriculum team has already designed materials for every class, so you won’t need to worry about the teaching material preparation. However, teachers must prepare for class by reviewing the class materials beforehand. Teachers may preview class materials in the classroom on the teacher portal 6-12 hours in advance. DaDa may adjust your teaching hours based on the business requirement but will give you a 3 days notice ahead of the time.
- Each class is guaranteed 30 minutes of active teaching time.
- Class booking is available every day. You just need to provide DaDa your available time slots. However, the time slots might not be guaranteed and are subject to change at the discretion of DaDa.
- The minimal hour commitment is relatively flexible, only require teachers to have at least 10 hours per month.
- Available from 7 pm – 9 pm (precisely 7:04 pm – 8:40 pm) Beijing time.
Interview Process at DaDa
1. Sign Up at Teacher Portal
It’s pretty straightforward on DaDa’s teacher application process. First, you need to create an account on DaDa’s portal. Fill out the form and proceed to the interview step.
2. Where does the booked interview happen?
The interview happens on the 2nd step of the signup process on the teacher portal. After you book an interview, on the day of your interview, you can enter the classroom one hour before the interview to test your equipment before it starts. Please test your equipment beforehand, we will evaluate whether your internet connection is able to maintain a 30-min smooth connection with a server in China.
Book an interview
Pick a time slot from the calendar shown on the interview page. Join us for a 30-min session where you showcase your teaching skills to the DaDa recruiter.
Your interview will last around 30 minutes and will consist of two parts
- Interview questions (15 minutes) about
- your teaching experience
- your availability
- any questions you have
- Mock class (10 minutes) involving
- a role play with you as a teacher and your recruiter as a student
- teaching content shown in later slides
3. Interview Preparation
After you arranged an interview, it’s time to prepare the interview and demo with DaDa. Every ESL companies have similar but different criteria.
Don’t forget, your performance on the interview is critical not only landing you a job at DaDa, but also a key determinator of your hourly rate.
Here is a checklist for DaDa’s interview
- Practice the demo lesson PPTs and Check the Sample video.
- Teach from a place with good background and lighting.
- Good internet connection (wired connection preferred).
- A headset with a microphone and a webcam (HD webcam preferred.
How we will assess you?
We expect DaDa teachers to demonstrate seven skills in every class
- Warm-up – e.g. Greet your student and asks questions to build a bond with him/her
- Use simple language – e.g. Grade your language to ensure the student can understand. Use gestures when possible to support understanding.
- Engage students – e.g. Use body movements or props to engage your student
- Check to understand – e.g. Use concept checking questions to check the student’s understanding of meaning, functions, and forms of vocabulary
- Personalization – e.g. Ask questions to help the student relate the content or concept to their lives
- Correct errors and give feedback – e.g. Correct errors and have the student produce the correct language at the end
- Time and classroom management – e.g. Have a balance of Teacher Talking Time (TTT) / Student Talking Time (STT)
What Questions to Expect During the Interview?
- Do you have online or offline in classroom teaching experience?
- Are you teaching on other online teaching platforms?
- This is not a trick question, but if you did or are currently teaching for other ESL platforms, let the recruiter know because this means it’s less training and quicker onboarding to hire an experienced teacher like you!
- What student’s age groups are you good at and enjoy teaching?
- Do you have a full-time job?
- Do you have any travel plans or taking a break from any type of work for the next 6 months?
- There are minimal 10 hours per month commitment to teaching because you’ll be taking care of the same recurring students for the next few months if you’re hired.
- Why do you choose DaDa? Have you been working in DaDa before?
- Your recruiter will role play as a student and you’ll be his/her teacher
- The following is the teaching content you will use in the interview
- The materials are at two levels. You need to teach BOTH.
- The first half is for lower level learners whereas the second half is for higher level learners
Lower Level Teaching
Higher Level Teaching
Our top tips for rocking your mock class
- You just need to do the warm-up once—before teaching the lower-level
- Pay attention to students’ responses and reactions
- Encourage your students to speak more —avoid ONLY asking them to repeat after you
- Use body language and teaching aids to enrich the class and maintain students’ interests throughout the class
- No need to teach all the slides, stick to the learning objectives
- Show evidence of preparation for the class – e.g. decoration, lighting, attire, preview the courseware, have a class plan & design.
- Speak at a moderate rate and use simple sentences to give instructions
- Correct students’ errors of the target language
- These icons in the courseware show what students are expected to do – (e.g. listen and speak), instead of functional buttons
The recruiter will evaluate your performance based on the following factors during the demo lesson
- BE ON TIME!!
- Appropriate language use
- Student engagement
- Eliciting/Checking understanding Challenges Learners
- Error correction/ feedback
- Class management/ timing
Here are some No-No during the Interview and Classes
- No absence
- No attending class late, No leaving early
- No threatening, insulting, mocking or teasing the students, DaDa employees and other teachers.
- Note: the ESL teaching circle is smaller than you think. Internal recruiters also often move around different ESL companies. So be respectful and responsible for your own actions. You don’t want to be blacklisted.
- No fake documents including diploma, teaching certificate and leave slip
- No eating, smoking, drinking alcohol or making up in the class or teaching under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- No leaving during the class
- No speaking in dispraise of DaDa
4. Congratulation! You will receive a Job Offer if You Passed the Interview
- Is there a minimum duration of the employment agreement?
- DaDa doesn’t have a limit for the contract’s length, but we suggest you have at least a 6-month to one year contract because it gives you more time to build a strong relationship with your students.
- How to terminate the agreement?
- If you want to terminate the agreement, you need to inform DaDa 15 days in advance.
5. Onboarding Training
6. Service Agreement
Demo Slides Examples
You’ll able to find more demo and interview prep slides in the teacher console.
See the full job requirements and school reviews of DaDa.
Scheduled Monthly Payment
Teachers’ pay will be sent on the 15th of each month via direct bank deposits (or other transfer ways). Overseas bank transfers might take 2-5 business days.
- Hourly rate of 90 – 140 RMB
- Salary Raise via Working Performance Review Program.
- Regular-student class bonus: 30% of base pay
- Trial-class conversion bonus: $7 (50 RMB) per student
- Incentive bonus: $1 per finished class
Regarding the tax, you will be responsible for your own taxes in accordance with the individual tax jurisdictions or state laws.
Short-Term Leave policies
Long-Term Leave policies
DaDa Intro Video
Further Reading – Online English Job Interview Guides
- Online ESL interview guide
- Guide for Working at SayABC
- Guide for Working at Magic Ears
- Guide for Working at ALO7
- Guide for Working at Whales