Online ESL Teacher for ABsay
Summary(Review): ABsay is looking for native online ESL teachers with bachelor’s degree or above. You must be from either the US, UK, Canada, Australia or New Zealand. Their preferred ages between 22 to 45 years old. A minimum of at least one year of teaching young kids is also desired. You will need a quiet place with a fast and stable Internet connection with a minimum requirement for both download and upload speed of 20Mbps. All of your students are Chinese kids from 4-12 years old. They have an aggressive bonus structure for those of you who work hard and can dedicate your time to teaching for them. The pay ranges from $18-26 per one hour lesson. You are paid through PayPal or bank transfer once a month. The peak hours are the typical peak hours Beijing time 7 PM to 8:30 PM on the weekdays and weekends from 9 AM to 10 PM. They expect you to sign a contract of six months and the contract is renewed based upon your performance. They recommend that you are available for lease 7.5 hours a week during the peak class times
Job Overview for Online ESL Teacher
Pay Rate per Hour:
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
Job Details for Online ESL Teacher
Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Bachelor or above
Min Hours Week:
Min Uploading: 20 MB/s
Min Downloading: 20 MB/s
Online ESL Teacher Job Description
- $18 – 26 per hour
- Student age 4 to 12
- 6-month Contract
- Pay vis PayPal or bank transfer, monthly
- Teaching hours (Beijing time)
- Weekday 7pm – 8:30pm
- Weekend 9am – 10pm
1. How can I apply?
- Apply and join us by filling the form.
- Please make sure all your information is correct, including your clear profile picture and latest resume.
2. What qualification do I need?
- Bachelor’s degree and Native English speaker.
3. Where do I need to teach online classes for ABsay?
- A quiet place with fast and stable Internet connection.
4. Is there any requirement for network speed?
- The minimum requirement for both download and upload speed is 20Mbps.
5. What devices do I need?
- You can find technology requirements here.
*Final definition of peak hours is according to ABsay.
1. What is the payment date?
- Teachers are paid between the 10th and 15th in arrears every month. Overseas bank transfer may take extra 2-5 working days.
2. Can teachers qualify for a raise?
- Teachers will be re-evaluated for a raise at the point of renewal.
3. How much do I need to pay for tax?
- ABsay teachers are independent contractors and responsible for their own tax in accordance with their individual tax jurisdictions or state laws.
4. How long is the contract?
- Normally it is about 6months. Contract renewal is based on your performance.
1. How many hours should teachers be available to teach?
- To maximize the number of classes you could get scheduled, we recommend you to be available for at least 7.5 hours/week during our class times.
2. Can teachers take breaks(more than one month) during the contract?
- Yes, but please inform ABsay 4 weeks in advance if you want to take time off during your contract.
Online ESL Teacher Job Requirements
- Natives of UK, USA, Canada, and Australia (New Zealand) only
- ESL experience of teaching young kids (minimum of 1 year)
- BA degree or higher
- Age between 22-45 years old Preferred
- Full of passion & energy and a positive attitude
- The desire to engage and inspire young learners
Online ESL Teacher Salary and Compensation
ABsay offers 20%-30% higher payment than average market level. Your payment is calculated on a per-class basis (scheduled in 30-minute slots) and is composed of a minimum pay + incentives. Your minimum payment will be determined by your demo class performance, while incentives determined by your monthly class participation and completion as an ABsay teacher.
How to Apply to Online ESL Teacher?
Online ESL Teacher Interview Process & Tips
1. How to go for my interview?
- There are two ways for interviewing with us.
- Make an appointment with ABsay for 30 minutes online interview.
- Record a video for a demo lesson, and submit to ABsay.
2. What do I need to show in the demo lesson?
- Education skills toward 4-12 years children need to be displayed in the interview, including how to make children interested in learning English, your ESL teaching skills and time management.
3. What do I need to prepare for the interview?
- Practice the demo lesson PPTs.
- Good Internet connection.
- Teach in a place with good background and lighting.
Becoming a Teacher
1. Do I need to prepare any teaching materials?
- No. ABsay teaching team provides teaching materials, and you need to review the materials in advance, at least before class. But you need to prepare some teaching tools if necessary.
2. How many students do I teach in each class?
- The number of students is normally between one and four students. If there are any changes, we will inform you in advance.
3. What are trial classes?
- Trial classes are for students who either just started studying English at ABsay or are looking for a proper teacher.
4. What should I do if the student doesn’t show up?
- Please keep staying in the classroom and inform us if the student doesn’t show up. You can click “ Help” or in the classroom to require your TA(teacher assistant)’s support.
5. What should I do if parents ask for my contact info?
- Please don’t give away your personal contact information. Please tell the parents to contact ABsay staff if they want to know any details.
Company Information for ABsay
As an online English education platform, ABsay provides an International learning experience of English for Chinese children between 4 to 12 years old.
ABsay is an online English education platform founded in Hangzhou, China, and it provides an International learning experience of English for Chinese children. We aim to offer a total-immersion English environment for our students to learn English, and guide them to speak English more confidently.