Reading Tutor for BookNook
Job Overview for Reading Tutor
Pay Rate per Hour:
1 on 1
Preschool (age 3-5)
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
Late Afternoon (3pm-6pm)
Job Details for Reading Tutor
Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Bachelor or above
Min Hours Week:
Min Uploading: 5 MB/s
Min Downloading: 10 MB/s
Reading Tutor Job Description
Who are you?
- You are passionate about working with all kinds of learners. You love seeing a child’s eyes light up when they master a new concept. You’re skilled at tailoring your teaching to different learning styles and needs. Every child feels your joy as you see it as a privilege to be able to show up and be present in the lives of your students.
- You excel at building meaningful connections with students from diverse racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds. You value the cultural assets, knowledge, and lived experiences that each child brings to tutoring sessions. You make learning meaningful by connecting it to students’ lives.
- You approach challenges with a growth mindset. Whether it’s a tech issue or a student struggling to master academic content, you are creative, resourceful, flexible, and resilient in the face of obstacles, setbacks, and unexpected events.
- You are an engaging and dynamic teacher. You know just what to do when students look away from the screen or indicate that they are bored, stuck, or disengaged from the lesson. You have multiple tricks up your sleeve that can re-engage even the most reluctant learners.
- You empower students to build on their strengths. You see the brilliance in every child, enjoy celebrating their progress and commit to supporting them through both challenges and successes.
- You are tech-savvy. You may not be the head of IT, but technology is your friend. You quickly find workarounds when faced with glitches, and aren’t daunted by simultaneously navigating Zoom, our learning platform, and multiple students with different learning needs.
- You’re inspired by BookNook’s mission and purpose. You believe in the power of innovative technology and an engaging curriculum combined with the personalized touch of a dedicated tutor.
- Location: Remote
- Competitive pay rate: For this role, the range is $15 – $22 per hour, with opportunities for bonuses. All tutors are independent contractors and responsible for their own self-employment tax filings with the IRS. You will be provided a 1099 at the end of the calendar year.
- Schedule: Each tutoring contract will offer a consistent weekly schedule and students; contracts are seasonal and available year-round
- Curriculum: A proven technology platform that guides you through lessons and shows student performance in real-time
Equal Employment Opportunity
Reading Tutor Job Requirements
- Educators with a passion for working with K – 8 students from diverse educational, racial, economic, geographic, and cultural backgrounds
- Experience teaching or tutoring – we welcome experienced educators as well as those just getting started. All tutors must meet at least one of these minimum requirements: 3+ years teaching or tutoring OR 1 year teaching or tutoring and a bachelor’s degree OR 1 year teaching or tutoring and current enrollment in a teaching credential program
- Enthusiasm for teaching reading and/or math
- Comfort and experience tutoring online and using technology
- All tutors must be a current US Citizen or Permanent Resident with eligibility to work in the U.S. We are unable to consider individuals that would require sponsorship for a U.S. work visa
Reading Tutor Salary and Compensation
Competitive pay rate: For this role, the range is $15 – $22 per hour, with opportunities for bonuses. All tutors are independent contractors and responsible for their own self-employment tax filings with the IRS. You will be provided a 1099 at the end of the calendar year.
How to Apply to Reading Tutor?
Reading Tutor Interview Process & Tips
- Application Process: The application questions are set up to allow us to get to know you, match your specific qualifications against the qualifications for the role, and allow us to understand our Tutor community better.
- Initial Application Review: We review these questions against our minimum requirements for a Tutor, and you will hear from us within 5 business days of us receiving your application.
- Interview Process: We conduct interviews through Spark Hire, a one-way video interview platform. We like using this instead of typical 1:1 video interviews, to allow you to: prepare by having time to think about our questions, do the interview on your own time schedule, and showcase your skills through a brief teaching demonstration.
- Final Decisions: After your Spark Hire video interview is submitted, we will review your interview and you will receive notification of our hiring decision within 5 business days.
- Being Placed as a Tutor: We are currently building our Tutor community and piloting Tutor engagements in school districts around the country. Placements will be limited starting in March 2022 but will continue to grow throughout the year. Being selected as a BookNook Online Tutor does not guarantee immediate or consistent tutoring work, but you will be able to opt into Tutoring placements regularly as we grow.