Online ESL Teacher for Cambly
Summary(Review): Cambly delivers an on-demand system for students to speak with native English speakers whenever they want. This is a great place to rack up hours and talk with many students. They only accept tutors who are native speakers but Do NOT require a teaching certificate, bachelor’s degree, tutor/teaching experience. It is a great job of teaching English to students who are learning on their iPhones or Android smartphones. You will teach it from your computer. Normally the hourly rate is $10 and the program Cambly kids is $12/hour.Chat 10 hours in your first 10 days of being approved and receive a new tutor welcome bonus of $250! 💰
Job Overview for Online ESL Teacher
Pay Rate per Hour:
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
High School & College Prep (age 15-18)
Adult (age 18+)
Early Morning (6am-9am)
Late Afternoon (3pm-6pm)
Late Night (12am-3am)
Job Details for Online ESL Teacher
Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Native South Africa
Min Hours Week:
Min Uploading: 3 MB/s
Min Downloading: 12 MB/s
Online ESL Teacher Job Description
Chat 10 hours in your first 10 days of being approved and receive a new tutor welcome bonus of $250!
Cambly is actively hiring! Sign-up to be a tutor at Cambly and meet students from all over the world, anywhere, anytime. You can work full-time or part-time, whenever you want! Complete your tutor profile now and receive $10 welcome gift in your tutor account!*
*Please message tutor support upon approval to claim $10!
Cambly is an online English-learning platform that connects students with Native English Speakers over video chat 24/7. As a tutor, you will teach English to students from all over the world and learn about their cultures and background, while sharing about yours! Cambly pays $0.17 ($10.20/hour) for every minute you chat on Cambly and $0.20 ($12.00/hour) for every minute you chat for Cambly Kids.
- Class schedule: our classes are open 24/7. Our students are from all over the world so there isn’t really a class schedule or “popular times”
- The teaching hours usually concentrated in the afternoon and night time where students are off the schools and work to learn English.
- In addition to Cambly, we also have a program called Cambly kids and the pay for Cambly Kids is $12
- We only accept tutors who are native speakers
- Do NOT require a teaching certificate, bachelor’s degree, tutor/teaching experience. Of course, those will help but not required
- No minimum hour
- Weekly pay for tutors
- No lesson planning/prep, no correcting homework
Questions about tutoring on Cambly:
Tutors can work from home, as little or as much as they like. We require our tutors to work from a computer/laptop. You will be unable to complete your application or tutor from a tablet or smartphone. Tutors are all native English speakers and get paid to have casual conversations with English learners from all over the world via video chat, thereby helping students practice their English. It can be a great way for you to talk to people from all over and learn about their cultures! We pay $0.17 per minute ($10.20 per hour). It’s not huge, but it’s a really fun way to earn a little extra and learn about other parts of the world at the same time. No experience is required. We’ve got lots of positive reviews on blogs and lots of positive press in general.
Here’s a video we made, which is just a compilation of real tutors speaking about Cambly:
Online ESL Teacher Job Requirements
- You can be a native or non-native English teacher. It does not matter as long as you are good enough to teach English.
- It helps if you have a degree and background in teaching.
- Cambly also has a diverse base of tutors who live in 170+ countries across the world. Our tutors range from educators, to digital nomads, to retirees, to graduate school students.
- Many of our tutors have rich life experience as well as work experience. What they all have in common is that they are passionate about helping our students achieve their potential, and love connecting with people from all over the world!
Online ESL Teacher Salary and Compensation
- Pay rate $0.17 USD per minute ($10.20/hour) or Cambly Kids which is $12/hour
- Tutors now have more payment flexibility and choices! Tutors can choose between weekly, biweekly, or monthly payments through PayPal, eCheck, direct deposit, wire transfer, or a prepaid debit card.
- A minimum cash out is $20; if less than $20 then it will roll over to the next payment cycle.
How to Apply to Online ESL Teacher?
Online ESL Teacher Interview Process & Tips
Have you already applied & are now waiting for approval?:
Based on the needs of our student base, it may take anywhere from 1 day to many weeks before your application is reviewed for tutoring. We are careful to protect our current tutors by not onboarding too many new tutors until we have the demand for them. That way, once accepted you can be sure to have plenty of calls and students. Please just hang tight, and we’ll email you once your application is approved. Thank you so much for your patience!
Problems with recording the video:
Whether you are able to record a video with us is a strong indicator of whether your system is compatible with tutoring on Cambly. If you are having trouble recording a video, first make sure that you are accessing Cambly through the latest version of the Google Chrome web browser on a computer or laptop (the mobile app is just for students, not tutors). To test whether your system is compatible with our video chat system, go here: http://tokbox.com/tools/connectivity/. To test whether your internet speed is sufficient (the minimum recommended speed is 2mb/s upload AND download), please go here: http://www.speedtest.net/. If you’ve passed both tests but are still having problems, please try restarting your computer and trying again. Please be sure to keep all other applications closed, as some may “steal” your mic/camera from Cambly.
Company Information for Cambly
At Cambly their mission is to provide students with an easy and affordable way to practice and improve their English skills. The Cambly app gives English learners instant 1-on-1 access to friendly native speakers over video chat 24/7. Cambly students speak over 30 languages and live in over 130 countries.
Founded in 2013 and headquartered in San Francisco.
Online ESL Teacher Reviews
Read the post here.
*Cambly Review (Edited to include some useful tips at the bottom 🙂 )**
Hey guys, I thought I’d write my review on Cambly since I have been working with them since April, so here goes! I hope it’s helpful.
Cambly is a platform that connects students from around the world to English tutors from around the world. Most of the students are based in the Middle East but more recently I have been meeting students
from South America! Cambly is usually used by students as an informal way to practice English conversation with an English Speaker whenever they like. Students can
log into Cambly any time of the day 24/7 and be connected with a tutor waiting on the other end. Due to this structure, classes (or calls) aren’t always regular or frequent, however in my experience
the volume of calls does increase based on your rating, frequency of logging in and the shifts (priority hours) that you do. More on this to come.
The application is quite straightforward and there is no interview or mock class to attend. You must set up an account (Link here: https://www.cambly.com/en/tutors?referralCode=dean41) add your profile information and upload a short
video of yourself. This is just an introduction video that will be uploaded on to your profile later but is first watched by the Cambly team. Once you send your application it can take
a long time for them to get back to you. It took them well over a month without any communication when I applied, but then I suddenly got an email explaining that I could now use the platform to teach! I think it depends
on the demand for teachers as sometimes we far out weigh the students but it does seem to be improving.
**Teaching on Cambly**
As mentioned, most students only want to practice conversation so classes are not structured and do not need to be planned. This makes it both easy and difficult! You will need to keep the conversation going, sometimes for over an hour with no real structure but if you’re good at talking and listening then it’s great. Sometimes students want a more structured lesson and for this you have a Cambly library of articles you can use for classes. At the beginning you will need to sign on for shifts (known as priority hours).
These are 1 hour blocks of time that you need to be available and take any calls that come your way. If you do miss calls your shift will be given to another Tutor. This is good at the beginning as you’re able to start
meeting new students that can become regulars and you have priority to receive calls over tutors not on priority hour.
Calls (classes) range from 5 minutes to 2 hours! It is very flexible when you’re not on Priority hour – I recommend reading the tutor guide on their website for more about their structure on taking calls. There documentation is really good and explains everything in the FAQ. Overall I have enjoyed tutoring on Cambly. I have a mix of regulars, some just conversation and others have specific goals. It all depends on who you meet!
Once you build up your student base you will start receiving reservations based on a schedule you open on your Cambly calandar. It will take some time as you need to do a fare few priority hours to meet new students first.
Some students want to practice specific goals or practice for IELTS (very common), so these students are more likely to become regulars and book time with you. There are expert IELTS tutors on Cambly, too! So if you specialise make sure you sign up for this.
Pay is 0.17c a minute. They pay based on a per minute basis, but every hour tutored (regardless of how many students you speak to within that hour) adds up to $10.20 per hour in your account.
Not bad considering it really is just conversation based classes.
Cambly pays via paypal weekly. This is a pocket money job for me and most other tutors, you’d find it hard to make a full time wage on Cambly to due to the structure.
As the system is flexible with when you teach, weekly pay varies. You can always go to your profile and see the dollars you have earned this week as it moves up in real time when you speak to students.
Some weeks I make $30 with minimal effort, some weeks I make 100$+. It really depends how often you log in and how many regular students you can get booked in. For the first couple of months I made sure to stick to the same hours every day. Students get to know when you’re online and this really helps. Later on you can be a bit more flexible. You also need to build up your rating.
**How to apply and referral scheme**
Once you’re tutoring with Cambly you’re given a link that you can share with others.
Chat 10 hours in your first 10 days of being approved and receive a new tutor welcome bonus of $100. 💰
Here’s my link if you’re interested in Cambly:
There are many tutors making a decent amount on Cambly, but lots also using it as a second little income. The good thing about Cambly is that once you’re accepted your account
is always open. You can sign back in months later, go online and immediately start tutoring again – so it’s a good one to have on the side 🙂
I’ve edited the post to include a mixture of tips from experience and from what I’ve read has worked for others using Cambly, too.
– To begin to build up your base of students it is necessary to complete Priority Hours (these are 1 hour shifts). I’d recommend signing up for at least 2 hours a day, but making sure these are the same hours everyday for the at least the first month (or 2!).
– When I started I did over a month on CET time 7am – 10am and this was my shift. The same time every day. I had no idea what I was doing at the time, I just chose these hours because it suited me but eventually I did build up a small base of regulars as they could see I was on at a time that suited them. I now think this is really important.
– There will be times where PH’s are very quiet at the beginning. That’s because you’re new and you have to push through the quiet patch. When you’re new you’re up against tutors with ‘veteran status’ and others with more hours on Cambly, but perseverance pays. Eventually you will notice some regular students but be under no illusions you will pass some hours only receiving the 15 min guaranteed payout.
– Learn to go with the flow and make your students happy. If you notice your students are happy with conversation, don’t try to push a more formal structure. Often, asking students what they want to study puts them off (from experience!). Learn to read your students and be genuine. Friendliness goes far!
– Cambly is a tough platform to crack if you’re expecting to earn tons of money, but it is a great side gig and you get to meet people from all over the world. Join their Facebook group called ‘Cambly Corner’ and they’ll let you in once you’re accepted.