Secondary Math Teacher for Connections Academy
Summary(Review): This position is working with Arkansas Connections Academy, and from the office in Bentonville, Arkansas or your home office within the state. Certified Teachers will “virtually” manage instructional programs. Connections Academy is currently looking for teachers for 2020-2021 School Year.
Job Overview for Secondary Math Teacher
Pay Rate per Hour:
1 on 1
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
High School & College Prep (age 15-18)
Early Morning (6am-9am)
Job Details for Secondary Math Teacher
Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Native South Africa
Bachelor or above
Min Hours Week:
Min Uploading: 5 MB/s
Min Downloading: 10 MB/s
Secondary Math Teacher Job Description
Connections Academy is a leading, fully-accredited provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual schooling for students in grades K–12. Through tuition-free public schools, full-time and part-time private school programs, and turnkey online courses for bricks and mortar schools, Connections Academy delivers superior, personalized educations for students, with the freedom and flexibility to experience our online learning community from anywhere. The combination of certified teachers, a proven curriculum, technology tools, and community experiences creates a supportive and successful online learning opportunity for families and children who want an individualized approach to education.
Arkansas Connections Academy (ARCA) is a tuition-free, virtual public school serving students in grades K-9 statewide during the 2016-17 school year. The school will add one high school grade per year, ultimately serving students in grades K12. ARCA is authorized by the Arkansas Charter Authorizing Panel and the State Board of Education, and is governed by an independent Board of Directors. The school is contracted with Connections Education to provide its educational program and other services. Connections Academy, a division of Connections Education, is accredited by AdvancED.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
This position is working with Arkansas Connections Academy, and from the office in Bentonville, Arkansas or your home office within the state. Certified Teachers will “virtually” manage instructional programs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program.
The Secondary Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
Complete all grading, create progress reports and conduct parent conferences in a timely manner;
Support the instructional program with asynchronous web conferencing sessions and synchronous instruction;
Review curriculum and devise alternate approaches to presenting lessons to increase student understanding (working directly with students and parents);
- Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update Personal Learning Plans and schedules, score assessments, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments and coach special projects;
- Work collaboratively with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully progressing through the program, that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed among the teachers;
- Develop a general knowledge of the entire program’s K-12 curriculum and a very detailed knowledge of the courses for which responsible;
- Support students and parents with alternate strategies and provide additional assistance with daily assignments and projects;
- Communicate regularly with parents, students, and curriculum specialists through use of computer and telephone;
- Keep student records and data up-to-date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and logging all student and parent contacts;
- Consult with other teachers and staff learning specialists to develop alternate enrichment activities and modifications to students’ programs to increase student understanding;
- Work with other teachers to coordinate social activities and relevant field trips for students;
- Manage regional field trips and make efforts to integrate trips into the curriculum;
- Devise and implement virtual methods of creating and maintaining a “school community”;
- Participate in the organization and administration of the State Testing, as directed;
- Participate in student recruiting sessions and other marketing efforts that require teacher representation;
- Work with Advisory Teachers and School Counselor to ensure students and families are receiving appropriate communications, students are making adequate progress and established goals are being met;
Attend field trips and other community activities implemented for families;
Other duties as assigned.
Are teachers able to work from home?
The ability to work from home varies across the schools. All job postings indicate whether the position is office-based or home-based. Please be sure to verify the work location requirements for the position on the specific job posting. Positions with Connections Academy may be home-based; however many of the Connections Academy schools initially hire teachers to work from the office. Positions with OBL Student Services are home-based.
What curriculum is provided?
Connections Academy provides comprehensive lesson plans online and in print, along with a number of exciting elective courses. The proven curriculum incorporates materials developed by leading educational institutions, as well as lessons and other resources developed by curriculum specialists. The curriculum for each public school is aligned to the state standards.
What types of training and support are in place for teachers?
At the time of hire, new teachers take extensive training to learn all aspects of the technology tools and duties of their job. In addition, each school has developed their own mentor program in which new teachers are assigned a mentor for their first year.
Schools also have implemented Professional Learning Communities which provide ongoing professional development opportunities and support. For on-going support, Pearson Online & Blended Learning offers a variety of support services including a School Support Team and Help Desk to assist with training and professional development, resolution of technology challenges, distribution of curriculum materials, and various other support functions.
If there isn’t a school in my state, can I still teach for Connections?
Typically, Connections Academy employs teachers in a state in which there is a school. Even if a teacher is home-based, he/she still reports to the office for training and/or meetings either on a regular or ad hoc basis. Teachers are also required to be certified in the state in which they are teaching.
OBL Student Services hires teachers from all across the country. Teachers with OBL Student Services do not have to live in a specific state, but must be certified in specific states based on the job posting.
Do teachers work year round?
Connections Academy teachers work a 10-month work schedule. The first and last teacher work day varies by school. Typically, schools follow a similar calendar as that of the local school districts. Teachers work 195 duty days.
OBL Student Services teachers and Speech Language Pathologists (SLP) work a 10-month work schedule. Teachers and SLPs start in early August and end in mid-June. Teachers and SLPs work 195 duty days.
Teachers have opportunities to work over the summer, be it support for their own school or teaching summer school courses.
Are there part-time opportunities for teachers?
Based on the needs of the school, Connections may hire teachers to teach part-time. Adjunct teachers are part-time and home-based. Adjunct teachers are hired to teach particular courses, typically in elective areas. Adjunct teachers must hold a valid certification in the subject area which they are teaching. Adjunct teachers have a flexible work schedule that allows them to hold another position in addition to serving as an Adjunct with Connections. Adjunct teachers receive two types of compensation:
- Base compensation: Base compensation is paid semi-monthly over 12 months and will increase based on years of service and performance.
- Adjunct compensation: Adjunct compensation is paid monthly over 10 months and is based on the number of students enrolled in the teacher’s courses. Each course has been assigned a per student rate.
Secondary Math Teacher Job Requirements
- Highly qualified and certified to teach Math in Arkansas (appropriate to grade level and content area responsibilities)
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office programs)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Customer-focused approach
- A high degree of flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
- Team player track record
- Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
- Ability to work remotely, if necessary
- Ability to work some occasional evening hours, as needed to support some families
Can I teach for Connections Academy, or OBL Student Services, if I don’t hold a teaching certificate?
Teaching positions with Connections Academy and OBL Student Services require a valid teaching certificate. Candidates must hold a valid certificate for the state in which they are teaching and must be appropriate to the subject they are teaching. For example, a teacher who teaches high school Social Studies for Colorado Connections Academy must hold a valid Secondary Social Studies teaching certificate for Colorado.
Secondary Math Teacher Salary and Compensation
Educator salaries are not built from a step scale. Salaries are calculated with a competitive base compensation with additional increases given based on degrees, years of experience and certifications! We believe in rewarding employees for their hard work and commitment to our goal—providing a top-notch education to our students. Employees are eligible for annual performance and salary reviews and may be eligible to participate in our performance-based bonus program.
Pay increases are not found on a set step scale! Our approach includes:
- Annual Reviews
- Performance-based bonus plan
- Career Ladder opportunities
An employee’s salary increase is not based solely on years of experience and education; our teachers are compensated for their hard-work and dedication to the families.
Connections Academy is proud to offer our employees excellent benefits, including healthcare, 401(k), paid leave, and more. To learn about the benefits available in your area, select a state first.
Where do I find salary information regarding my position?
Connections Academy does not use a set salary scale. Our salary system is a performance-based model. At the time of hire, an individualized offer is made to the candidate. The role of the job, years of experience, education level, teaching subject, fit in our environment and special skills are considered when making the initial offer. Once you are employed by Connections, salary increases are tied to your performance.
What other performance incentives are available for teachers?
Full-time teachers also have the potential to earn a bonus each year, which is based on both individual performance as well as the performance of the school. The bonus potential percentage increases for teachers based on years of service with the organization. Other incentives are tied to performance, such as the potential to earn work-at-home days and extra personal days. Connections also offers a career ladder opportunity for teachers. The career ladder provides teachers the opportunity to take on leadership roles giving them upward mobility and increased pay.
Does Connections Academy offer benefits?
Connections Academy offers competitive compensation with annual performance-based salary review. We offer comprehensive benefit plans (with great employee rates) to eligible employees. Visit the Benefits page to view a full list of employee benefits available per school.
How to Apply to Secondary Math Teacher?
Secondary Math Teacher Interview Process & Tips
What is the application process?
To start the application process, click on “View Openings” on the left-side of the webpage. Use the search feature to find the position that interests you. Click on the job title of the position to view the full job description. Click Apply Online at the bottom of the job description.
If you have not previously created an account, you will first be prompted to create a profile account. Immediately following the creation of your account, the application assessment questions will begin.
If you have an account, you will be prompted to enter your email address and password on the log in screen. This will take you directly to the assessment questions.
Once you have completed the assessment questions, your application will be sent directly to the Talent Acquisition Team for review with the Hiring Manager. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted. You can log in to your account to view the status of all submitted applications.
Company Information for Connections Academy
Connections Academy is a tuition-free full-time online public school for grades K–12, with schools located in communities across the country. At every grade level, students take core courses in math, science, language arts/English, social studies, and electives, and work from a state-approved, high-quality curriculum with support from certified teachers.
Since 2001, the company’s Connections Academy division has delivered individualized learning to students through virtual public schools and a private online academy. In the 2018-2019 school year, 31 Connections Academy virtual public schools will operate in 26 states and expect to serve more than 70,000 students in grades K-12 (some schools do not serve all grades) from across the U.S.
For more information, visit www.ConnectionsAcademy.com.