Online ESL Teacher for English First
Summary(Review): English First is a well established English language learning company that has been around for a long time in both physical and virtual formats. You must be a native English teacher with a university degree. They are looking for teachers with past teaching experience, but it is not required. If you have a TEFL certificate that will help and you can become certified while on the job as an option. Each of the lessons is 20-45 minutes and are held on their own custom platform with the lessons provided. Group lessons range from 5-6 students and they also offer one-on-one lessons. After each lesson, you will provide written feedback. Most students are adults between 24 and 50 years of age and are typically university students or business professionals.
Job Overview for Online ESL Teacher
Pay Rate per Hour:
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
High School & College Prep (age 15-18)
Adult (age 18+)
Late Afternoon (3pm-6pm)
Job Details for Online ESL Teacher
Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Native South Africa
Bachelor or above
Min Hours Week:
Min Uploading: 5 MB/s
Min Downloading: 15 MB/s
Online ESL Teacher Job Description
Who this role is good for?
- Are you a stay-at-home parent eager to have an outside job but not willing to put your parenting aside? Do you homeschool your kids? Even better!
- Are you a current or former teacher looking for additional work?
- Have you been “teaching” in the workplace all of your professional life and are ready to try it for real — while also having time for other things?
- Teach English online to kids in China ages 5 to 13 with EF Education First, the world’s largest private education organization.
- Teachers deliver 25-minute one-on-one online English classes to kids ages 5 to 13
- Earn up to $20 an hour to start! Get extra rewards the more you teach.
- Availability during lesson times for the China time zone:
- Peak hours are
- Monday through Friday class start-times from 6:00 to 8:30 am NYT (DST)
- Friday & Saturday evening classes with start-times from 9:00 to 10:30 pm NYT (DST).
- Weekday classes start at 4:00 am NYT (DST) and weekend nights starting Friday night at 9:00 pm Eastern time (DST) to Saturday morning at 9:00am NYT (DST) and Saturday night 9:00 pm NYT (DST) to Sunday morning 9:00 am NYT (DST).
- Native English speaker with a Bachelor’s degree in any field
- 40 Hour TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification (or higher)
- Experience in early childhood development, teaching, coaching, or mentoring is preferred, not required. Life experiences count!
- Excellent cultural awareness, communication, and motivational skills
- This is an independent contractor position
- Classes are available to start teaching in as soon as 2 weeks after applying.
What is online teaching lifelike with EF Education First?
Unlike many other online ESL programs for kids, EF students engage in a blended learning approach. All of our online students take lessons at one of our physical schools in China (over 300 and counting!). This combined in-school and online method provide the young learner with the benefits and excitement of group learning with the much-needed encouragement and practice of one-on-one online lessons.
All EF online lessons for kids are 25 minutes in length and are one-on-one with Chinese children aged 5 to 10. The two-way video between the teacher and student makes the distance disappear and brings the teacher and student together into one online classroom.
The lesson material is uploaded into the online classroom for you, based on what the student is currently studying and his/her parent’s preference. You are able to preview the material prior to the lesson and then can use your own expertise to respond to the student’s individual learning needs to deliver the lesson. No mandatory teaching props or backdrops needed!
After the lesson, you provide students and their parents with a brief summary in English of the lesson.
Parents typically wish to book many months of lessons upfront. Though you set your own availability and schedule, teachers with consistent availability to teach in the same time slots week to week will get the most bookings. This is based on the parents’ preference for the same teacher to instruct their child for the duration of their five-month course. If teachers continue to be available thereafter, some parents may even wish to book him or her for a second course.
Though there is no fee tied to participation in the introduction, teachers can invoice for an extra fee of $30 after teaching their first lesson.
Here are some videos of the classroom environment:
BRING LANGUAGE TO LIFE
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We look for teachers who have strong communication skills, high energy and great interpersonal skills. We also look for candidates who are customer-oriented and adaptable in an online teaching environment.
WHERE DO WE TEACH FROM?
Our teachers work in teaching centers in many parts of the world, including online centers located in Bali, Johannesburg, Santiago, and Shanghai. Teachers in the US and in many other countries have the opportunity to work from home, making this a great freelance opportunity for graduate students, parents, and English-speaking expats living abroad.
Our online English lessons range from 20-45 minutes in length and are delivered on our custom platform using innovative, EF-developed lesson content. An average group lesson has 5-6 students, but we also offer private, one-on-one lessons.
Teachers are provided with access to supplementary materials for lesson preparation and are also able to create custom content to best match their student’s interests and needs when requested. After each lesson, teachers provide students with written feedback on their performance.
PROFILE OF OUR TEACHERS
Our teachers are tech-savvy and comfortable using online platforms. Their engaging and positive online presence makes our virtual classrooms come alive, thereby motivating students to improve their English and move one step closer to achieving their career and educational goals.
All of our teachers are passionate about education and language, and our freelance centers are a perfect fit for candidates looking for a flexible schedule and the ability to work from home.
TEACHER SUPPORT AND DEVELOPMENT
EF online teachers have the opportunity to participate in ongoing certification and professional development courses that offer a strong foundation for future career growth in both teaching and education management. Our teachers also have access to an online community that allows them to share tips and best practices.
PROFILE OF OUR STUDENTS
Our students come from all corners of the globe. They might be University students or business professionals who have set personal goals to improve their English. Or, they may be corporate customers whose employers are sponsoring their study at EF. Almost all of our students are adults between 24 and 50 years old.
Online ESL Teacher Job Requirements
- Teachers must be a native English speaker and live in the U.S.
- Teachers must have a bachelor’s degree or higher in any field. A degree must be submitted before your contract can be finalized. Feel free to apply without these documents if you need a few extra days to obtain them from your college, but college credits or a bachelor’s in progress is not sufficient. We’d love to talk to you once you’ve completed your degree.
- Teachers must be willing to submit to a secure online background check, the costs of which are covered by EF.
- By the start of a teacher’s contract term, he or she must submit documentation of a 40 Hour TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification (or higher). Let us know if you have questions on how to obtain a TEFL — it can be done quickly and affordably!
- In addition to the above qualifications, teachers must supply their own personal computer, headset, and have a reliable WiFi connection.
- Please note that this is an independent contractor position, with most contracts offered for a six-month term with options for auto-renewal for each party. Contractors are responsible for their own taxes, as no withholding is taken from payments.
- Having experience as a teacher is not required. They specify how they evaluate new candidates experience as follows:
- Our team considers all aspects of a teacher’s professional background when determining qualifications for a contract. Experience in early childhood development, teaching, coaching or mentoring is preferred, but not required. Life experiences count.
- A TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate is not required at the time of applying to teach with EF.
- The exact requirement is as follows: By the start of a teacher’s contract term, he or she must submit documentation of a 40 Hour TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification (or higher).
- This said the industry seems to be trending to provide preference to those who have these certificates. We are working to partner with providers and should have a paid program you can promote in conjunction with all your online teaching content soon.
Online ESL Teacher Salary and Compensation
Earn up to $20 per hour to start through a combination of base fee and achievable incentives. And, earn even more for teaching more classes. This is an independent contractor position.
How to Apply to Online ESL Teacher?
Online ESL Teacher Interview Process & Tips
What happens after I am hired to teach with EF Education First?
Contracted teachers are provided with access to an introduction to our online platform which guides you through everything you need to know to get started.
The introduction typically takes a few hours, and most teachers complete it in about one week on a self-paced schedule.
You will be in touch with our U.S.-based team every step of the way. You can ask questions at any point and have the opportunity to schedule a personal meeting with a member of the team before you start teaching.
Company Information for English First
Since 1965, EF has helped millions of people and become the world leader in international education by focusing on one global mission: Opening the World through Education. In 1997, EF was the first to launch an online English school with live teachers available 24/7. With a global network of 600+ schools & offices in 100+ countries, we are committed to putting education first.
EF English First, a division of EF Education First, is one of the largest providers of English language learning in the world, with students of all ages and teachers who are passionate about their jobs in the classroom and life abroad. Currently, EF English First is hiring professionals and graduates who are looking for an amazing year or 2 abroad, to develop a new career or travel and experience life overseas.
Every year, EF English First hires hundreds of qualified and newly qualified teachers from the UK, USA, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa to teach in schools across China, Russia and Indonesia. Upon joining EF, all new teachers receive full support and training, as well as continual professional development across the different products. Teachers can teach English to kids and teens or adults at EF’s state-of-the-art language schools and centres. Or, they could choose to teach kids and adults online in Shanghai. EF English First now has over 200 schools across 60 cities in China, 77 schools in Indonesia and over 20 in Russia. This gives teachers the opportunity to choose the location that is right for them, and even enjoy job rotation across cities and countries.
EF as a whole is on a mission to open the world through education. To realize this mission, EF English First invests heavily in teacher development for those who want to advance their careers in education. Although most positions are entry-level, English First also has academic management positions such as DOS (Director of Studies) and CEM (Center Education Manager) roles for those with more experience. Moreover, once teachers are a part of the EF family and network, they can also enjoy opportunities across the globe in other parts of the company.
Online ESL Teacher Reviews
How are teachers supported by the EF Education First Team?
We are a U.S.-based company with a global presence. That means you can get in touch with our core staff to discuss any important issues during the U.S.-business day. We also offer 24/7 help for urgent technology and scheduling issues.
As a U.S. company, we pay teachers via direct deposit (after initial bank validation via physical check for 1 to 3 months). Teachers invoice by the 5th of the month following each teaching month, and payments are processed on the 26th day of that month.