Review: SayABC is part of VIPKID with a pay-rate of up to $28 per 40 minute lesson ($15 base, and $6 bonus per lesson based on attendance and productivity) per 40 minute lesson. All lessons are group lessons of four students whom you will teach for a three month period of time. You should have an Associate or Bachelors degree or are about to graduate. You do not have to have a US accent but you should be a native English speaker or have a neutral accent. They do require that you are located in certain countries due to their advanced platform that runs off of their servers. Continue reading below to find the current list. They require a three-month contract that can easily be renewed if you continue to meet the needs of their students and follow their policies.
Job Overview for SayABC
Pay Rate per Hour
Teaching Experience in Years
Minimal Hours per week
Internet Speed (MB/s)
- Up to $28 hourly basic salary, with incentive bonus
- No limits for minimum class, the maximum classes per week is 24
- Class length: 40 min and 10-minute break between classes
- Class size: 1-4 students in a group, students are kids 5-12 years old
- Pay per class (40 min):
- regular classes: $15 base + $6 bonus; (you qualify for bonus simply by not having a no-show 9 classes in a row with the same group; after 9 classes with the same group, the “counter” resets and a new 9-class counter begins)
- trial classes: $15 base + $8 per kid who signs up (max is 4 students)
- BOOKING (Beijing time):
- Mon-Fri 18:00 – 21:30;
- Sun-Sat 8:50 – 11:20, 18:00 – 21:30;
- If you teach regular classes, you commit to 5 weeks of fixed schedule (you choose the schedule).
- If you teach trials, you choose as little as a day in advance, and no schedule commitment is required past 1 day in advance.
- No minimum number of classes required.
- Teaching platform – Teachers will have lessons with students via our own platform with prepared course ware
- Native level of English
- Bachelor Degree or higher or final year college student
- Certificate in TEFL, TESOL, CELTA or any other relevant certificates is a plus
- Relevant teaching experience is preferred
- Desktop or Laptop with fast Internet connection, camera, headphones
- Native level of English (non-native speakers are welcome to apply, as long as their level of English is sufficiently proficient and their accent is native-like)
- TECH REQUIREMENTS: You need to have at least an i5 gen CPU and 8gb of RAM, since their platform is quite heavy and demanding
Can I apply if I don’t have a Bachelor’s degree?
Yes! While we do require applicants to have at least a bachelor’s degree for contracts that are longer than 3 months, we believe that training a new generation of teachers is best done through hands-on practice. We’ve teamed up with universities in Canada and the US to offer short-term internships to students majoring in education, and we will consider offering applicants with relevant teaching experience an opportunity to demonstrate their skills in the classroom even if they don’t have a bachelor’s.
Where do I have to live in to be eligible to work for SayABC?
Even though our platform allows a teacher to work remotely, it is only stable in a few parts of the world. As of now, we can only work with teachers who are located in the China, Singapore, Japan, Korea, North America, The Middle East, Europe and Australia.
As soon as we are able to have a more stable connection in other parts of the world, we will update this list.
What is the application process like?
Apply and get feedback in 2 days——Interview—— Online Mentoring——Evaluation Class——On board with your regular classes
Applicants pass 4 steps before becoming SayABC teachers:
- Resume Screening
- Interview- 30mins with an 8 pages demo class
- Mock Class- 40mins with a 25 pages demo class
- Contract signing and platform setup
- Monday – Saturday
- 6:00PM – 6:40PM
- 6:50PM – 7:30PM
- 7:40PM – 8:20PM
- 8:30PM – 9:10PM
- 9:50AM – 10:30AM
- 10:40AM – 11:20AM
- 9:50AM – 10:30AM
- 10:40AM – 11:20PM
- 6:00PM – 6:40PM
- 6:50PM – 7:30PM
- 7:40PM – 8:20PM
How long is the contract for?
We require a 3-month minimum commitment from our applicants. The contract can be renewed.
What equipment do I need?
- A desktop or a laptop with a webcam – The platform does not work on mobile devices like phones or tablets. We will update the FAQs if that ever changes.
- A headset with microphone – We require a headset to increase the quality of your hearing and a microphone to cut down on ambient noise.
- Chrome browser – You will need this to access our training materials and classes.
- High-speed internet – You will be receiving and transmitting audio and video streams in the course of teaching.
We will provide you with the download link to our teaching platform software once you have been selected for an interview.
HOW WE DO IT
We connect foreign teachers from all over the world with children between ages 5 and 12 in China. Our platform is designed specifically to encourage an active learning environment. The curriculum was developed in collaboration with Cengage and National Geographic. The system’s quality is proven, as it has been tried and tested many times and is already used by millions of children around the world. Influenced by National Geographic’s philosophy of exploring the world, our system can be viewed as an extension thereof, bringing the world into the classroom and the classroom into real life. We prioritise conversational skills as much as any other language skill; in in keeping with this, we expect teachers to keep their classes clean, keep their language positive and encouraging, appreciate diversity and treasure difference, all of which are skills we aim to teach by example.
-Online full-immersion English language and content classes with up to four students at a time
-Our curriculum is based on The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
-40-minute, highly-engaging lessons
WHY DO WE DO IT
English is the lingua franca of the global economy; we contribute to shaping future generations for success in the global arena by helping as many children as possible. The main problem Chinese students have is the access to high-quality teachers that they can afford. English plays a paramount role for children’s confidence in everyday and professional settings, regardless of where they are in the world. We believe that providing high-quality English education at an affordable price will benefit a vast number of children seeking opportunities to learn. Furthermore, it allows them to interact in different domains and get first hand access to information, which will help them to adopt a global perspective and learn about other cultures, skills vital to establishing common ground with anyone in the world. We aim to create an educational environment where students feel safe and confident enough to make mistakes.
And of course, we want our teachers to benefit as much as our students from our service. First, teachers gain access to a consistent and steady stream of income, so long as they maintain consistent availability. We always try our best to offer satisfactory compensation. There are various incentive systems to encourage teachers and we are always happy to provide support for their optimal performance. Second, teachers gain a strong sense of achievement through teaching with us, as they act as bridges for their students to access a world of possibilities. Being involved in nurturing students’ collaborative, creative and problem-solving skills also contributes to the improvement of their own life skills.
How to Apply?
SayABC provides an international learning experience to children in China between the ages 7-9. Headquartered in Beijing, the company offers fully immersive one-to-many English language instruction provided online by highly qualified teachers. The curriculum is based on the U.S. Common Core State Standards and uses a flipped-classroom approach to foster creativity and critical thinking skills.
Backed by tier one investors in China and in the US, SayABC is a dynamic and fast growing online education platform that strives to bring the highest quality ESL learning experience to millions of young learners in China. We serve students between 5-10 years old – a time when the brain is particularly receptive to language learning and social interactions. The team behind SayABC is a group of awesome, passionate, and somewhat dorky individuals, based in the bustling capital of China – Beijing.
SayABC is one of the leading companies in the online education market in China. Our goal is to give confidence to every child in China through the power of education. In order to make that happen, we have created a unique online platform of our own to teach English to children. This platform is designed to teach a maximum of 4 students per class, and they are packed full of fun and educational activities. Teachers are solely hired according to their fluency in English and ability to teach, not according to their place of origin.