Job Overview for Software Engineer:
Salary Per Month:
Rate Per Hour:
Bachelor or above
Hours Per Week:
Software Engineer Job Description
We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer! Would you like to join the highly dynamic team responsible for the reliability and performance of a global top-10 website — Wikipedia? You would join the Search Team, where we build the infrastructure for search and discovery of Wikipedia content. We are working on Open Source, JVM / Linux based stacks (Elasticsearch, Wikidata Query Service).
We are searching for people with a drive to explore, experiment, and learn new technologies. Do you enjoy eliminating boring things from your daily workflow by automating them? Are you comfortable working in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented, open environment and as part of a globally-distributed team? Then you might be just the person we need.
- Performing day-to-day operational and DevOps tasks on Wikimedia’s public facing infrastructure (deployment, maintenance, configuration, troubleshooting)
- Implementing and utilizing configuration management and deployment tools (Puppet, Kubernetes)
- Assisting in the architectural design of new services and making them operate, at scale
- Monitoring of systems, services and service clusters, optimization of performance and resource utilization
- Assisting in or leading incident responses, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts across Wikimedia’s production infrastructure
- Sharing our values and working in accordance with them
These are some of our upcoming projects you might be working on soon…
- Upgrade a multi-terabyte Elasticsearch cluster to the next version of software, without any impact to our users (or uptime)
- Scale our graph database (Wikidata Query Service) to more than 10 billion triples
- Help define a hardware procurement strategy to grow our Elasticsearch clusters
Software Engineer Job Requirements
- 3+ years experience in an SRE/Operations/DevOps role as part of a team
- Experience with managing geographically distributed, highly available, high-traffic infrastructure based on JVM / Linux
- Working understanding of garbage collection, Java logging frameworks and JMX
- Comfortable with Open Source configuration management and orchestration tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, SaltStack, etc.)
- Experience with the use, and configuration of, monitoring, metrics and logging infrastructure (Icinga/Nagios, Prometheus, Grafana, Graphite, Logstash/Kibana, etc.)
- Comfortable with shell and scripting languages used in an SRE/Operations engineering context (Python, Go, Bash, Ruby, etc.)
- Comfortable with managing remotely bare-metal servers and virtualized environments
- Aptitude for automation and streamlining of tasks
- Strong English-language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Track record of open source contributions is a major plus
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with graph databases
- Low level systems troubleshooting and debugging (CPU/memory profiling, C/C++ experience, in-depth Linux knowledge)
- Example projects
Software Engineer Salary and Compensation
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
How to Apply to Software Engineer?
Company Information for Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc is a nonprofit charitable organization dedicated to encouraging the growth, development and distribution of free, multilingual content, and to providing the full content of these wiki-based projects to the public free of charge.