Teach in Spain immersion + 4 weeks of Spanish for CIEE
Summary(Review): CIEE has various teach abroad and foreign country exchange programs. Including teaching English in China, Southeast Asia, Europe. They are currently hiring native English teachers to teach in Madrid, Spain, under the program Spain immersion + 4 weeks of Spanish. That allows you to learn Spanish and teach ESL in Spain at the same time.
Job Overview for Teach in Spain immersion + 4 weeks of Spanish:
Salary Per Month:
Late Afternoon (3pm-6pm)
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
High School & College Prep (age 15-18)
Job Details for Teach in Spain immersion + 4 weeks of Spanish
Bachelor or above
Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Native South Africa
Min Hours Per Week:
Teach in Spain immersion + 4 weeks of Spanish Job Description
Whether you’re a beginning Spanish learner or an advanced speaker, immerse yourself in Spanish culture by spending four weeks with a local host family and taking Spanish classes before you start your teaching placement as a Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Madrid.
Benefits of the Teach in Spain Immersion program include:
- Boosting your Spanish skills with four weeks of intensive Spanish classes that focus on practical conversations you will use during your year in Spain. Classes meet three hours each day (Monday – Friday) and are taught entirely in Spanish for a fully immersive experience.
- Participating in language exchange sessions with Spaniards.
- Experiencing life as a local while living with a Spanish host family who you can practice speaking Spanish with. Each family is unique – ranging from single host mothers to families with children – and will give you perspective into Spain’s diverse society.
- Classes and host families are located in the city, giving you the opportunity to find permanent housing while living with your host family. You will also arrive in August, ahead of the busiest time for apartment hunting in Madrid.
In early October you will start your position as a Language and Culture Assistant, helping Spanish students develop their listening and conversational English skills. Most teachers spend 16 hours a week in the classroom and usually have three-day weekends with Monday or Friday off. With your monthly 1,000 Euro stipend and long weekends, you can enjoy Spain’s cultural and historic treasures.
Madrid is the heart of Spain. The capital city sits at the center of the Iberian Peninsula, and it’s known to set national trends. More than a rich cultural heritage site boasting world-renowned art museums, Madrid is a lively, artistic metropolis with a variety of food, tapas bars, dance shows, opera, concerts, parks, jazz clubs, soccer matches, ethnic neighborhoods, and contemporary theater and cinema performances – all ready for you to explore.
Teach in Spain immersion + 4 weeks of Spanish Job Requirements
- Native English speaker
- A bachelor’s degree in any field
- Citizenship in the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, or South Africa
- No age requirement
- No Spanish language requirement
- No previous teaching requirement
Teach in Spain immersion + 4 weeks of Spanish Salary and Compensation
- Placement as a Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Madrid
- Pre-departure assistance – including visa guidance
- iNext international insurance with 24-hour emergency assistance
- Ongoing support from CIEE staff in Madrid
- Airport pickup and transportation to your orientation hotel on arrival day
- Four days of orientation in Madrid with topics including housing, banking, residency, health & safety, and more
- Cultural activities during orientation, such as a flamenco show and sampling cuisine from different regions of Spain
- Four week homestay with a local Spanish family – breakfast and dinner included
- Four weeks of language immersion courses
CIEE Language and Culture Assistants in Madrid work from October to June and receive a monthly stipend of 1,000 Euro (approx. $1,150). For most participants, this is adequate to afford a comfortable lifestyle. If you’re careful with spending, you’ll have some money for fun and to explore Spain and other European countries. Your income will go further outside of city centers where the cost of shared accommodations, food, transportation, entertainment, etc., are lower. We will provide you with advice on how to find an affordable apartment and how to best plan your budget each month.
Most program participants also teach private English classes, either through their school or independently. CIEE can help here, too, with advice on how to advertise and find private lessons when you get to Spain.
CIEE participants have paid holidays around Christmas and Easter. Exact dates will be confirmed when the school calendars are approved in September. There is usually a two week break around Christmas. Participants also have Holy Week off, which is the week before Easter. Official provincial calendars are available in September.
How to Apply to Teach in Spain immersion + 4 weeks of Spanish?
Company Information for CIEE
Developed from a mission born more than 65 years ago and with an understanding that travel should be meaningful, CIEE Teach Abroad programs have prepared and sent thousands of individuals like you to teach, live, learn, travel, and grow in more than nine countries overseas.