Abroad ESL Teacher for NOVA
Summary(Review): The NOVA has English language learning branch schools throughout Japan. NOVA currently offers courses in nine different languages.
Job Overview for Abroad ESL Teacher:
Salary Per Month:
Late Afternoon (3pm-6pm)
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
High School & College Prep (age 15-18)
Adult (age 18+)
Job Details for Abroad ESL Teacher
Bachelor or above
Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Native South Africa
Min Hours Per Week:
Abroad ESL Teacher Job Description
Career opportunities exist in all areas of the company for motivated and talented instructors. These opportunities include, but are not limited to, positions in Curriculum Development, Training, Personnel and Payroll, and Area Supervision and Management.
All of our trainers, supervisors, managers, designers and developers started their careers with us as instructors.
Work Location & Schedule
- The details of your fixed weekly work location/s and work schedule offer will be finalized once we have received confirmation from you of your arrival date and accommodation choice. We will look for the best match between the preferences stated in your interview and our needs.
- If you require and are eligible for work visa sponsorship*, we will need to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) for you. Upon receiving the necessary documents from you, we will prepare and make the application with Japanese Immigration. Once the CoE has been issued, we will send it on to you so that you can apply for your visa at your nearest Japanese embassy. If you intend to obtain a different type of visa, (with permission to work), you will need to take care of securing this visa by yourself.
*Please note that the company sponsored visa application process takes approx. 6-12 weeks.
A typical day
No two days are exactly the same, and each shift brings a different mix of lessons and students. A typical lesson schedule will be made up of regular adult conversation lessons (group and one-on-one), and possibly one or more NOVA Bilingual Kids lessons (group and one-on-one) and/or one or more Voice lessons (designated days and times only).
Each lesson is forty minutes long, with a ten minute interval between classes. The interval includes time for record-keeping, lesson selection, a short break and a chance to interact with students and visitors in a more informal context. Many branches include a lounge where students can relax and chat with instructors and other students before and after their lessons.
Following the successful completion of additional training, a lesson schedule may also include test preparation lessons for students taking tests such as TOEIC, TOEFL and Eiken, as well as special lessons focusing on specific language skills such as grammar or vocabulary and specific purposes, such as Business or Travel.
- 13:20 Level 5 Group lesson
- 14:10 Level 8 Man to Man lesson
- 15:00 Level 6 Group lesson
- 15:50 Kinder NOVA Bilingual Kids Group lesson
- 16:40 BREAK
- 17:30 BREAK
- 18:20 New course training
- 19:30 Level 7 Group lesson
- 20:00 Business lesson
- 20:50 Business lesson
When students first start studying at NOVA, they take a communicative ability test with a qualified instructor. The result determines their starting level. There is a set of four purpose-written textbooks for each level and each textbook contains fifty self-contained units designed to equip the student with the necessary skills for the next level. There is a step-by-step teaching guide for each level provided for instructor support.
All student records are kept in an electronic file system accessible through the school PCs. Lesson selection is a simple process of accessing the electronic files for the students in your class and comparing their past lesson records to find a suitable choice.
Abroad ESL Teacher Job Requirements
Instructor responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Selecting, planning and conducting lessons.
- Monitoring student performance and reporting on student progress.
- Performing demonstration lessons and level assessments for new or potential students.
- Promoting available products and services.
- Maintaining a clean, comfortable and welcoming environment.
Abroad ESL Teacher Salary and Compensation
- work visa sponsorship for eligible candidates
- NOVA-arranged housing for overseas recruits
- contract signing bonus – paid with your first month’s remuneration
- one training fee that entitles you to basic training for all core and supplementary courses, current and new facility and teaching materials use (including textbooks, CDs, flashcards, lesson plans) for just 100 yen per lesson
- reimbursement for all public transportation costs to and from the workplace, plus an additional 100 yen per lesson for work-related overheads
- replacement instructor service to cover contracted lessons that you can’t teach, should you be unable to arrange your own replacement, for just 500 yen per lesson
- guaranteed number of lessons per contract
- fixed weekly schedule
- guaranteed, minimum lesson remuneration rates (1,200 yen per 40-minute lesson) with generous additional amounts for work on weekends (200 yen per 40-minute lesson), special lesson types and high student attendance (up to 500 yen per 40-minute lesson)
- 150 yen per lesson contract completion bonus
- monthly incentives (paid at the end of each contract) for instructors who achieve Top 50 status in the monthly customer satisfaction survey
- bronze, silver and gold status (with increased per lesson remuneration) for instructors who score consistently highly in the monthly customer satisfaction survey
For those who can commit to 40 lessons per week for 1 year, additional incentives apply:
- 100,000 yen for flight costs to Japan (50,000 yen within Asia)
- 30,000 yen Christmas bonus
Once you have a valid work visa for Japan and are ready to book your flight, we will inform you of your start date and the airport to fly into. For all overseas recruits, arriving a couple of days before training starts will give you time to get over a long flight and adjust to a different time zone. If you have requested company housing and your start date is on a Tuesday, you will be able to move in from the Friday before your first day. If you have requested company housing and you start on a Wednesday, you will be able to move in on the Monday or Tuesday. Please understand that it is not possible to accompany new recruits to company apartments on weekends due to these being the busiest times for our schools. If you arrive on the weekend and/or before your designated move-in date, then accommodation arrangements and costs until you can move in to your company-arranged apartment will be your own responsibility.
For overseas recruits, we can arrange accommodation in a single-person apartment prior to your arrival. To apply for this, you will need to submit an apartment agreement form once your CoE has been issued. Upon receipt of the signed agreement, the process of arranging housing takes two to three weeks. If you decide to make your own housing arrangements, please understand that NOVA will not be able to act as a guarantor. Please also understand that company housing is not available for two or more persons wishing to live together and that pets are not allowed in company-arranged housing.
If you can arrive on a weekday before 14:00, we will be able to arrange a same day pick up at a convenient meeting point. The staff member who meets you will accompany to your accommodation. (If you arrive after 14:00 or on the weekend, it may be necessary to schedule this for the following weekday. If you are moving into company-arranged housing, you may need to prepare a sum of cash for a gas deposit or futon delivery. The amount will be informed to you prior to your arrival.
Japan has an extensive and convenient public transportation system. For instructors using public transportation to commute to and from work, commuting costs are reimbursed.
日本語が全然分かりませんか？(Don’t understand any Japanese?)
少しだけ話せますか？(You can speak a little?)
ぺらぺらなの？(You’re really good?)
Well, NOVA offers Japanese lessons to students of all levels.
Learning the local language while in Japan not only makes daily life easier, but also enriches your whole experience of living in Japan and opens other doors to appreciating its culture.
Japanese is taught online via our Multimedia Center. Instructors can take lessons from home or in their branch, before or after their shift. The lessons are taught by native Japanese speakers, and the discounted rates for NOVA instructors are very reasonable.
How to Apply to Abroad ESL Teacher?
Abroad ESL Teacher Interview Process & Tips
Day 1 of Initial Training is also the day that your contract begins, and you will receive and sign your contract when you arrive. Initial training is conducted at regional centers in Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Sapporo. The first day of training is conducted in a group seminar format. Days 2 & 3 of Initial Training are conducted in small groups. The small group size allows for plenty of individual attention, guidance and support from your trainer as you start to put your training into practice in the classroom and master the basic skills needed to set you up for your first solo day and beyond. Day 4 of Initial Training takes place either directly after Day 3 or one week later.
First Solo Day
Your first day of solo teaching may be the day after the end of Initial Training, or you may have a day off first, depending on how the training days correspond with your regular teaching schedule. As new instructors often testify, getting to know your own students while finding your feet in the classroom following the successful completion of training is immensely satisfying. As you gain experience and your confidence grows, you will get more and more personal and professional satisfaction from seeing your students’ progress and achievement!
Company Information for NOVA
The NOVA chain of English conversation schools has NOVA branches throughout Japan. NOVA currently offers courses in nine different languages.
NOVA is a subsidiary of NOVA Holdings Group. NOVA Holdings Group operates several juku (tutoring center) chains, a home tutoring service, a design company, translation, interpretation and corporate language services, and work and study abroad programs.
NOVA is one of the leading English conversation schools in Japan with almost 300 branches throughout the country. NOVA schools are typically conveniently located close to train stations and in shopping centers.