Why Teach at Hujiang?
Hujiang is a large language learning company beyond merely English language in China. It has English teaching courses for children and adult, but currently mainly focus on children. The pay at Hujiang is average, $16-20 as base pay. However, the book rate and course materials according to the community are excellent.
- One teacher described “working for Hujiang is smooooth”. Platform (CCtalk) and teaching materials are sound and easy to use.
- You are nearly fully booked and “nearly 100% booking rate”. Students consistently show up bright eyed and bushy tailed, eager to learn.
- Professional and reliable. Pay on time and pay well. You know what you are getting, a flat rate per hour that doesn’t diminish.
- Supportive community and internal staff.
- You MUST have a teaching certificate (TEFL/TESOL/CELA or teacher license) to work for Hujiang and teaching experience is strongly preferred.
- I don’t love like the 5-minute window between classes (not enough time to get to next class and do required feedback).
- The worst part about Hujiang was the long and laborious onboard process. Consist of a lot of training videos and Hujiang is quite strict with testing your learning as a teacher, but once on board, the job has been very straightforward.
- The teacher review system is less transparent. It’s difficult to know the feedback from students directly but from internal QA team.
How is the class scheduled and booked?
The teachers open their time slots and the students will book the lessons.
Do I get the same recurring students or different students each time?
The teachers will get different students each time. However, if the student really likes the teacher, he/she will book that teacher’s timeslots consistently, then that teacher will get a regular student.
How flexible is the teaching hours?
The position is flexible because teachers just need to spare at least 10 hours per week to conduct lessons online. The peak hour for K12 is from 6pm-10pm on weekdays and 9am-10pm at weekends. The teacher can open the time slots in these times according to their own condition.
What’s the interview process?
- Apply via Oakary with required info including intro video, resume, etc.
- Skype interview
- Demo class interview
- Self-access training
- Live training with Hujiang’s trainer
- Sign the contract and Happy teaching!
What’s the compensation and bonus structure?
- The base rate for the K12 teachers is US$16-20/hour
- Bonus (referral bonus + quality bonus + performance bonus)
Performance Bonus is determined based on the following 3 areas:
(1) Full Attendance
(2) Quality Assurance
Our Quality Assurance team will run quality checks randomly on each teacher with recorded classes and provide feedback to the teacher quarterly. A bonus for teachers whose teaching performance is over 90% of the QA score every time, will be rewarded.
(3) New student enrollment
Quality Assurance and New Student Enrollment Bonuses are evaluated and issued on a quarterly basis.
For adult lesson, Hujiang will pay 50% of your rate; For K12 lessons, it’ll pay 100% your rate.
What’s the payment period and method?
- Payment period – bi-weekly.
- Payment method? Payoneer.