Why Teaching at SayABC?
SayABC is a sister company as VIPKID, but under different managerial team. From the community, we heard teachers say that the booking rate at SayABC is significantly higher and more consistent compares to VIPKID, where teachers at VIPKID often mentioned not able to get enough booking or even no booking at all for weeks. SayABC focuses on 1 to up to 4 students vs. VIPKID focuses on one-on-one teaching. The following info is gathered from our FB community and other sources. Apply or see general info about SayABC.
- Teachers get plenty of hours and SayABC are good to deal with. The curriculum and platform are good too.
- Teachers love that SayABC schedule teachers classes directly so you don’t need to worry about not having booked and the schedule is pretty consistent. Teachers reported getting around 10 teaching hours per week on average.
- I personally prefer the SayABC platform because it is super interactive and awesome.
- Homeroom class is great. A teacher got around 10 homerooms. $15 per lesson as a base pay. Bonus $6 per lesson and total 9 lessons per homeroom, which gives you a $54 bonus if you taught them all.
- The schedule still relatively flexible, but you need to provide a fixed class schedule twice a week for an extended period of time. Which means you might lose your regular classes if you take too many holidays that require you to cancel or need substitute teachers. Your availability is set before each Wednesday. Scheduling happens every week. However, although you can set your schedule up to one week before scheduled lessons, SayABC won’t able to guarantee that you get your preferred schedule if that’s the case.
- The downside is that homeroom is not necessarily easy to get, but if you are not given homerooms, you can be assigned trial classes.
How is the class scheduled and booked?
- Peak hours for lessons are 18:50, and 19:40 Beijing time.
- SayABC schedule teachers classes directly so you don’t need to worry about not having booked and the schedule is pretty consistent. Teachers who open their slots 14 weeks in advance have a higher chance of getting classes booked. We do allow some flexibility if you need it during that time.
Do I get the same recurring students or different students each time?
How flexible is the teaching hours?
The schedule still relatively flexible, but you need to provide a fixed class schedule twice a week for an extended period of time.
There are 4 levels of classes at SAYABC. Every level has 6-9 units and every unit has 9 lessons. You meet with the same 1-4 students twice a week at the same time for 9 lessons.
Your class is usually auto-renewed after each unit ends. You will teach the same students the next unit. Mon/Thur. Tues/Fri. Wed/Sat. After you have taught the 9 lessons and if you were not late or absent, you completed all the required feedback and attendance, then you are paid the bonus.
Do I get the same recurring students or different students each time?”
For regular Homerooms classes, you will have fixed group of students, unless, you or students request to change a class. New students every time for trial classes, because the purpose of the trial class is to encourage new students to learn English from SayABC.
There are Two types of Classes
1. Major course (Homerooms)
- the Major course lesson is to teach the curriculum to students.
- The Major courses are assigned 1 unit (9 classes) each time.
- Major classes are scheduled on Wednesday each week, and each homeroom is renewed every other week on Tuesdays.
2. Trial classes
- The purpose of the trial Class is to showcase our platform and sell our content.
- Trial Class is assigned 1 class each time.
- Trial Classes scheduling – SayABC will lock your time slots based on your availability after the major course scheduling. See details.
What’s the interview process?
- Book a live interview or self-record your interview
- Formal interview – Meet recruiters in the classroom for Q&A and demo class. Make sure your IT is satisfied.
- Complete self-study modules to learn about the teaching platform and attend a live mentor session with an experienced SayABC teacher. You’ll be participating as a student. You and your mentor review a practice lesson and discuss how to teach the lesson. It is helpful to receive hints and suggestions from your mentor.
- A 40-min evaluation class (mock class) up to 4 real students with one chance to reschedule. If you passed the evaluation class, then HR will send you a contract and W-9 form. You can find more details here.
- Upload necessary documents to SayABC and happy teaching!
The live tutoring session is a mentor session with an experienced SayABC teacher. You’ll be participating as a student. You and your mentor review a practice lesson and discuss how to teach the lesson. It is helpful to receive hints and suggestions from your mentor.
- The big thing to remember, when you do teach 4 students, is that each student needs to hear the teacher without being disturbed by the other students. So if there is ANY noise in the background (including an echo) for any of the students, or if one of the students is going nuts, mute them. If you need to, mute everyone. Each child will still hear herself and the teacher, but they won’t hear whoever is muted. Although these parents aren’t paying for private lessons, they will still listen to make sure their child is getting attention, so use their names as much as possible, and try to give each student at least one correction. When you are doing choral drilling, you will not be able to hear each child. Don’t worry about it. You can look at their mouths and make sure they are at least participating, but save the individual corrections until you are in one-on-one activities. Most of all, understand that you simply cannot take time away from 3 students to discipline 1 student. The other 3 parents will be angry. If one child isn’t participating, you can say happily, “Billy, please come participate” or something, but if Billy starts jumping on the chair and throwing fits, just mute him and go on. You should let the administration know about it later so they can talk to the parents (if the parents weren’t already there to see it). With 4 students you also have much less time to improvise as the time is being taken up by paying attention to each child. So watch the clock. I have never used the negative cards. I guess they accept that SayABC has them, but I don’t think they’re necessary.
- I don’t often have four students, usually two or three. In your interview you will teach one adult, so you will be fine. With multiple students, you can drag each student up to the main screen. This mutes the other students, so you can check on their pronunciation and correct if needed. You can also individually mute them and disable their mouse at any time. This helps with background noise and distracted kids. After the interview, you will have a one hour session with a mentor who will explain it to you. Reward cards are easy, I have never given out a negative card. I give 4 or 5 to each student, usually for the same activity. You don’t need a secondary reward, but I have some emojis and stars I will hold in front of the camera for the younger kids. After your mentor class, you teach one real class which is an evaluation.
What’s the compensation and bonus structure?
- Homeroom class – you will receive a $54 bonus after you have taught all 9 lessons in the unit where an extra $6 per lesson. However, it might be difficult to get the homeroom classes or to get booked for the early slots at the moment. To teach homeroom classes, you MUST open slots in pairs at the same times for 14 weeks head. If you can’t teach the same times on the paired days–you won’t get homerooms.
- Trial class – you may get an $8.00 bonus if a student signs up for the lessons within 5 days, but it’s not necessarily easy to get that bonus.
- Short notice class – You can receive $7.00 a class bonus.
- Some teachers mentioned SayABC takes that $54 bonus away over the smallest things. However, an experienced teacher gave us a tip, “anytime they’ve tried to take mine away, I have gotten it back through screenshots of feedback and attendance.”
What’s the payment period and method?
Payment period – Monthly, around 12th of each month.
- Bank transfer
- For teachers in the US. SayABC pays you as a contractor, so need a W9 and will send you a 1099 MISC at the end of the year.