Why Teaching at Whales English?
- Relatively good pay, $18-25 per hour base pay depending on qualification.
- I am enjoying it a lot this far. I will say it is a long onboarding process and lots of training required so keep that in mind. However, it’s worth it in my opinion. They pay very well and are professional.
- Whales English’s course runs the entire semester and that you can teach subjects other than English. You’ll have the same recurring students for the whole semester (about 25 weeks). You get booked for a whole term once you get a class.
- Whales hire teachers with solid teaching experience, preferably ones with experience in the American educational system. They sometimes hire retired American, Canadian, and British school teachers to provide the quality education to their students.
- Whales treat their staff well and provide training.
- High standard in teacher qualification. As a result, difficult to get hired. BUT you get good pay and stable recurring students once hired.
- Only hire American, Canadian, and British teachers with minimum 2 years teaching experience with a teaching certificate.
How is the class scheduled and booked?
You would need to open at least 8 teaching hours during Beijing time Monday-Friday 5pm-9pm and Weekends 8am-9pm. The classes run for the entire semester with recurring 2-3 students per class. so very stable job compare to the ones that you need consistent worry about getting new students.
Whales English provides the teaching materials. They try to follow U.S. Common Core aligned lesson material for about 2-3 students per class. The class is 50 min long and delivered via Zoom.
I teach 2 hours per week (you can also request more) and a very minimal amount of homework that I correct each week. Typically, a couple of minutes to correct the papers from the students who have completed a writing assignment.
What to expect for Interview?
The interview will be conducted via Zoom. You’ll be demonstrating your teaching skills and abilities by using the teaching materials provided by them.
What’s the interview process?
- Formal Interview – a 30-min interview, book through Calendly, and done in Zoom
- 1st Mock class
- Signing contract – some of documents will be collected
- Training – on boarding training and course training
- 2nd Mock class – rehearsal
- Happy teaching!
Will I be paid for trial class?
The trial class is intended for new students who haven’t signed up for regular classes yet. Yes, you’ll get a base pay and student enrollment bonus.
What’s the compensation and bonus structure?
- Base pay rate per hour – $18-25 per hour.
- The performance review is conducted every 6 months to determine the pay raise.
- There will be weekend peak hour bonus.
If your class is booked and the students are no-show (which less likely, because 2-3 students per class), but if you stay for 30 minutes then will get a full pay.
What’s the payment period and method?
- Payment period – monthly
- Payment method? Payoneer or bank transfer on the 15th of the month. Pay in US dollar.