Taipei is one of the four “Asian Tigers”, besides Singapore, Hong Kong, and South Korea. Needless to say, the city’s economy has been growing tremendously, making it the ninth largest economy in the world. Taipei welcomes over 6 million foreign visitors each year and attracts numerous talents from all over the world thanks to its technological, educational, economic and cultural assets. That’s why teaching English abroad in Taipei is very popular!
Many ESL teachers choose to teach English in the island nation’s biggest city, Taipei, because of its exciting lifestyle, beautiful sights, unique culture, plentiful job opportunities and surprisingly, affordable cost of living. Here’s everything you should know about teaching ESL abroad in Taipei, Taiwan.
Taipei’s population is estimated to be 2.7+ million. The city has a subtropical climate with four seasons. The summer is very hot and humid, sometimes hit by typhoons. However, the spring (March to May) and fall (September to November) are quite comfortable and the best times to visit Taipei. It’s sunny yet the weather is cooler and less humid. Many beautiful flowers bloom in spring. Winter (December through February) is mild with occasional showers. There’s a big difference in temperature between day and night in the winter.
Some more fun facts about Taipei, Taiwan:
- The local language in Taipei is Mandarin, yet you won’t need to be proficient to live and teach in Taipei
- It’s home to the world’s 5th tallest building (known as Taipei 101 – 1,667 feet or 508 meters tall)
- Taipei’s a bike-friendly city with the popular Youbike program that offers 200+ bike rental stations for as low as a few cents per hour
- There’s free public wifi everywhere in Taipei (with over 1,000 wifi hotspots locations). You just need to sign up for a free account.
- The city’s population is quite young, with almost a quarter under 30 years old
- Taipei is quite safe with a low crime rate
- Taipei really comes alive at night with an exciting nightlife, colorful night markets, and amazing street food!
Why Teaching English Abroad in Taipei, Taiwan?
Taiwan is passionate about joining the internal leagues in commerce and trade, thus the city invests a lot in English language education. Therefore, you will find many ESL teaching jobs in Taiwan. Your English teaching monthly salary range in Taipei would look like this:
- Public schools: $1,900 – $2,500
- Private schools (aka buxiban & big chain kindergarten): $1,300 – $2,200
You can also tutor one-on-one or small groups of adults or children, or teach at universities.
Because of its surprisingly low cost of living, most English teachers live quite comfortably on this salary range and even are able to save 30-50% of their salary.
Teaching English Abroad in Taipei Job Opportunities
If it’s all too confusing and overwhelming, fill out this application form for Teaching Abroad Positions and we’ll help you find the most suitable English teaching job opportunity in Taipei or other popular cities in Taiwan such as Kaohsiung or Taichung.