The Best Laptops for Teachers and Educators Teaching Online
Here are our top picks of the latest models to help find the best laptop for your needs for Online teaching. Note that NOT all ESL teaching companies require a laptop, some only require a tablet or even teach on a smartphone. However, having a laptop will open up a lot more opportunities in online teaching.
The Criteria for Getting the Best Laptop for Online Teaching
The best laptops for online teaching do not need to meet the standards of heavy video game players that max out on every equipment measure, so there’s no reason to burn over a thousand dollars for one. Nonetheless, there are some critical criteria in order to deliver a smooth online course to your students.
Are you Traveling or Home-based?
- Thinner and lighter ultrabook laptops are better for traveling, but it’s also pricier than regular ones.
Minimal Technical Requirements for Online Teaching
- HD High Definition Camera: high-resolution for video conference
- CPU: minimal Intel Core i5
- RAM: minimal 8GB
- HDD or SSD Storage: minimal 128GB
- Wifi: Wi-Fi 802.11ac
- Operation System: Windows 10+ or Mac OS X recommended
- Screen Size: Screen size 13.3-inch HD or larger will definitely preserve your eyesight. Anything smaller then you might have trouble finding your students.
- Microphone – the audio quality, but this can be replaced and done better by the top headsets for online teachers.
- Anything within $500 – $1000 for a brand new computer would be a good purchase for online teaching. Ones over that price range might be overkill for online teaching, and laptops below that price might underperform or just on the edge of requirements which means you’ll be buying a new computer again very soon in order to keep up with the ESL companies’ technical requirement.
- Some companies insist on the ethernet cable connection even Wifi is extremely fast. Nowadays the connector is often removed to make the computer thinner. But don’t panic, because you can just get an Ethernet Adapter to perform the same job.
- Connects a USB 3.0 device (computer/laptop) to a router, modem, or network switch to deliver Gigabit Ethernet to your network connection. Does not support Smart TV or gaming consoles (e.g.Nintendo Switch).
- Supported features include Wake-on-LAN function, Green Ethernet & IEEE 802.3az-2010 (Energy Efficient Ethernet)
- Supports IPv4/IPv6 pack Checksum Offload Engine (COE) to reduce Cental Processing Unit (CPU) loading
- Compatible with Windows 10/8/7 and Mac OS, does not support Chrome OS, Windows RT, Linux or Android. If you experience issues using the device with Mac OS, the latest drivers are available for download below (refer to the Product description section)
What About Chromebook?
No, don’t risk it. You are likely going to run into software compatibility issues since Chromebook doesn’t run Windows nor Mac OS, but Chrome OS. Many Online ESL companies developed their teaching software for Windows or Mac OS only, some have an additional mobile app on iOS and Android. As a result, getting a Chromebook is the worst kind, which doesn’t work on your computer or mobile device.
Teachers have reported that Chromebooks are not compatible with QKids and MagicEars. There might be issues with Chromebooks not being compatible with certain schools that have their own teaching platforms. The list below has the potential of bringing back results that include Chromebooks.
- Ready for drops and spills with rugged construction with reinforced rubber guards, easy grip handles, and a spill resistant keyboard
- Lightweight 2.65 pound body and rugged construction that can be dropped from 3.9 feet so you can take it anywhere without disruption
- 11.6 inches HD 1366x768 anti-glare display, with 180 degree hinge for easy viewing
- Powered by the Intel Celeron N3060 Processor (2M Cache, upto 2.48 GHz) for fast and snappy performance
- 4 GB DDR3 RAM; 16GB flash storage; No CD or DVD drive; Power adapter: Input: 100 -240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal. Output : 19 V DC, 2.1 A, 40 W
Here Are the Best Ones
F556UA-AB32 by ASUS
- 15.6-Inch Full-HD Display with Windows 10 Pre-installed
- Powerful Intel i3-6100U 2.3 GHz Processor
- High-capacity 1TB 5400 RPM HDD with 4GB DDR4DL RAM
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI/D-SUB/USB Type C, 802.11a/c WiFi, and SD Card Reader
- Long-lasting 38 Whr polymer battery 2.5 times the lifespan of standard Li-ion
Even though the company Asus appeared on the market in 1989, it is currently the fourth largest computer vendor on the market. Due to providing first-class computers to consumers, it has become a known, reliable brand that you can trust.
This laptop by Asus has a black matte finish, making it discrete to carry. Due to it having an 802.11ac wireless capability, you will notice that your internet connectivity is reliable and perfect for times when you are traveling and need to pick up a connection in your hotel room or hostel. This is a definite need for nomad teachers who are on the go. The OS is Windows 10 and comes accompanied with a 15.6-inch screen, 1920 x 1080 resolution, one USB 3.1 Type-C port, one USB 3.0 port, one USB 2.0 port, and a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i3 processor. On top of all of that, it comes along with 1TB hard drive and 4GB of RAM, making it a great option for storing numerous files.
Weighing 5.1 pounds, the Asus F556UA-AB32 has sold like hotcakes, and it does not seem like this is going to change anytime soon. With this unit, you can have peace of mind, as it comes with one-year accidental damage protection and international warranty. In case something happens to your laptop, you can rest assured Asus will take care of it in a timely-fashion manner to get you back on track as soon as possible.
XPS 13 by Dell
- 13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) Infinityedge Touch Display
- Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake i5 7200U Dual-Core;
- 8GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM, 128 GB M.2 SATA SSD;
- Built-in Webcam,USB 3.0, USB-C, Thunderbolt 3 via USB Type_C, Card Reader: SD family, Network: None, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1;
- Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
It has every port you need, built-in Webcam, USB 3.0, USB-C, Thunderbolt 3 via USB Type_C, Card Reader for SD family, Network: None, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1.
This is a very simple laptop, but yet, it is very effective to teach on. It has an average battery life of six hours. With HP, you can always count on warranty and technical support to be at your service free of charge for an entire year, unless you want to extend it.
Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM by Acer
- 7th Generation Intel Core i3-7100U Processor (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
- 15.6" Full HD Widescreen ComfyView LED-backlit Display supporting Acer ColorBlast technology
- 4GB DDR4 Memory, 1TB 5400RPM HDD
- Windows 10 Home
- Up to 12-hours Battery Life
At the moment, this computer is a number one bestseller on Amazon, which is not shocking once you take a look at all the innovative features it comes along with, including a battery life that can last up to twelve hours, Intel Core i3-7100U Processor (7th generation), ColorBlast technology, backlit keyboard, 4GB DDR4 memory, 15.6 inch full HD widescreen (1920 x 1080 resolution), and 1TB hard drive.
The company Acer has become well known in the industry for providing advanced computer solutions. Starting with a $25,000 USD capital in 1976, Acer has become one of the most trusted computer companies in the world.
Upgrades can be easily conducted on this laptop that operates Windows 10. It has a convenient compartment door that permits educators to upgrade memory and hard drive without hassles. This Acer unit is simply one of a kind!
Swift 3 by Acer
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
- 14" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display
- 8GB DDR4 Memory & 256GB SSD
- Windows 10 Home
- Up to 12 Hours Battery Life
VivoBook F510UA by ASUS
- Powerful 8th Generation Intel Core i5 8250U 1.6GHz (Turbo up to 3.4GHz) processor
- 14.2 Inches Wide, 0.8 Inches Thin and portable footprint with 0.3 Inches Nano edge bezel for a stunning 80% screen to body ratio
- 15.6 inches Anti glare full HD display with ASUS splendid software enhancement
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB HDD
- Ergonomic chiclet keyboard with fingerprint sensor, Windows 10 Home
It has every port you need, USB 3.1 Type-C (Gen1), USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Lightning-fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi. It is relatively light and thin, weighs 3.7 lbs.
Latest Best Sellers
By the time this article is written, there will be new laptops on the market. So, this is a list of the current bestsellers that are pulled back automatically on Amazon.
Related Equipment and Supplies
- Online teaching supplies and setup
- What are the technical requirements of online English teaching?
- English and ESL teaching reference books
- Get the best priced and quality headsets that are less than $25
OETJobs.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Last update on 2020-07-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API