The Best Laptops for Teachers and Educators Teaching Online
Here are our top picks of the latest models to help find the best laptop for your needs for Online teaching. Note that NOT all ESL teaching companies require a laptop, some only require a tablet or even teach on a smartphone. However, having a laptop will open up a lot more opportunities in online teaching.
The Criteria for Getting the Best Laptop for Online Teaching
The best laptops for online teaching do not need to meet the standards of heavy video game player that max out on every equipment measure, so there’s no reason to burn over thousand dollars for one. Nonetheless, there are some critical criteria in order to deliver a smooth online course to your students.
- Are you Traveling or Home-based?
- Thinner and lighter ultrabook laptops are better for traveling, but it’s also pricier than regular ones.
- General minimal requirements
- HD High Definition Camera – high-quality video
- CPU: Min Intel Core i5
- RAM: Min 8GB
- HDD or SSD Storage: 128GB
- Wifi: Wi-Fi 802.11ac
- Operation System: Windows 10 or Mac OS X recommended
- Screen Size: Screen size 13.3-inch HD or larger will definitely preserve your eyesight. Anything smaller then you might have trouble finding your students.
- Microphone – the audio quality, but this can be replaced and done better by the top headsets for online teachers.
- Price range:
- $500 – $1000 for a brand new computer. Anything over that price range might be an overkill for online teaching, and laptops below that price might underperform or just on the edge of requirements which mean you’ll be getting a new computer very soon.
- Ethernet cable:
- Some companies insist on the ethernet cable connection even Wifi is extremely fast. Nowadays the connector is often removed to make the computer thinner. But don’t panic, because you can just get an Ethernet Adapter to perform the same job.
- Connects a USB 3.0 device (computer/tablet) to a router, modem, or network switch to deliver Gigabit Ethernet to your network connection
- Supported features include Wake-on-LAN function, Green Ethernet & IEEE 802.3az-2010 (Energy Efficient Ethernet)
- Supports IPv4/IPv6 pack Checksum Offload Engine (COE) to reduce Cental Processing Unit (CPU) loading
- Compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7, and Chrome OS with latest system updates; does not support Windows RT or Android.
Table of Contents
What About Chromebook?
No, don’t risk it. You are likely going to run into software compatibility issue since Chromebook doesn’t run Windows nor Mac OS, but Chrome OS. Many Online ESL companies developed their teaching software for Windows or Mac OS only, some have an additional mobile app on iOS and Android. As a result, getting a Chromebook is the worst kind, which doesn’t work on your computer or mobile device.
Here are the Best Ones
F556UA-AB32 by ASUS
- 15.6-Inch Full-HD Display with Windows 10 Pre-installed
- Powerful Intel i3-6100U 2.3 GHz Processor
- High-capacity 1TB 5400 RPM HDD with 4GB DDR4DL RAM
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI/D-SUB/USB Type C, 802.11a/c WiFi, and SD Card Reader
- Long-lasting 38 Whr polymer battery 2.5 times the lifespan of standard Li-ion
Even though the company Asus appeared on the market in 1989, it is currently the fourth largest computer vendor on the market. Due to providing first-class computers to consumers, it has become a known, reliable brand that you can trust.
This laptop by Asus has a black matte finish, making it discrete to carry. Due to it having an 802.11ac wireless capability, you will notice that your internet connectivity is reliable and perfect for times when you are traveling and need to pick up a connection in your hotel room or hostel. This is a definite need for nomad teachers who are on the go. The OS is Windows 10 and comes accompanied with a 15.6-inch screen, 1920 x 1080 resolution, one USB 3.1 Type-C port, one USB 3.0 port, one USB 2.0 port, and a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i3 processor. On top of all of that, it comes along with 1TB hard drive and 4GB of RAM, making it a great option for storing numerous files.
Weighing 5.1 pounds, the Asus F556UA-AB32 has sold like hotcakes, and it does not seem like this is going to change anytime soon. With this unit, you can have peace of mind, as it comes with one-year accidental damage protection and international warranty. In case something happens to your laptop, you can rest assured Asus will take care of it in a timely-fashion manner to get you back on track as soon as possible.
XPS 13 by Dell
- 13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) Infinityedge Touch Display
- Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake i5 7200U Dual-Core;
- 8GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM, 128 GB M.2 SATA SSD;
- Built-in Webcam,USB 3.0, USB-C, Thunderbolt 3 via USB Type_C, Card Reader: SD family, Network: None, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1;
- Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
It has every port you need, built-in Webcam, USB 3.0, USB-C, Thunderbolt 3 via USB Type_C, Card Reader for SD family, Network: None, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1.
This is a very simple laptop, but yet, it is very effective to teach on. It has an average battery life of six hours. With HP, you can always count on warranty and technical support to be at your service free of charge for an entire year, unless you want to extend it.
Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM by Acer
- 7th Generation Intel Core i3-7100U Processor (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
- 15.6" Full HD Widescreen ComfyView LED-backlit Display supporting Acer ColorBlast technology
- 4GB DDR4 Memory, 1TB 5400RPM HDD
- Windows 10 Home
- Up to 12-hours Battery Life
At the moment, this computer is a number one bestseller on Amazon, which is not shocking once you take a look at all the innovative features it comes along with, including a battery life that can last up to twelve hours, Intel Core i3-7100U Processor (7th generation), ColorBlast technology, backlit keyboard, 4GB DDR4 memory, 15.6 inch full HD widescreen (1920 x 1080 resolution), and 1TB hard drive.
The company Acer has become well known in the industry for providing advanced computer solutions. Starting with a $25,000 USD capital in 1976, Acer has become one of the most trusted computer companies in the world.
Upgrades can be easily conducted on this laptop that operates Windows 10. It has a convenient compartment door that permits educators to upgrade memory and hard drive without hassles. This Acer unit is simply one of a kind!
Swift 3 by Acer
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
- 14" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display
- 8GB DDR4 Memory & 256GB SSD
- Windows 10 Home
- Up to 12 Hours Battery Life
VivoBook F510UA by ASUS
- Powerful 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U 1.6GHz (Turbo up to 3.4GHz) processor
- 14.2" Wide, 0.8" Thin and portable footprint with 0.3" Nano edge bezel for a stunning 80% screen-to-body ratio
- 15.6" Anti-glare full HD display with ASUS splendid software enhancement
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB HDD
- Ergonomic chiclet keyboard with fingerprint sensor, Windows 10 Home
It has every port you need, USB 3.1 Type-C (Gen1), USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Lightning-fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi. It is relatively light and thin, weighs 3.7 lbs.
Latest Best Sellers
By the time this article is written, there will be new laptops on the market. So, this is a list of the current bestsellers that are pulled back automatically on Amazon.
Important: Teachers have reported that Chromebooks are not compatible with QKids and MagicEars. There might be issues with Chromebooks not being compatible with certain schools that have their own teaching platforms. The list below has the potential of bringing back results that include Chromebooks.
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 4.1GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Overclockable Graphics with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC )
- 16GB DDR4 2666MHz DRAM Memory & 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD | Extra empty accessible slot for 2.5 inch hard drive or SSD
- Gigabit Wi-Fi |Backlit Keyboard | USB 3.1 (Type C) | Dual All-Metal AeroBlade 3D Fan Cooling | Metal Chassis.Battery Capacity:3320 mAh
- 8th Generation Intel Core i3-8130U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-lit Display
- 6GB Dual Channel Memory, 1TB HDD & 8x DVD
- Up to 13.5-Hours of battery life
- Windows 10 Home
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-lit IPS Display
- 8GB Dual Channel Memory & 256GB SSD
- Up to 15-hours of battery life.Adapter: 65 W
- Windows 10 Home
- 11-inch HD SVA BrightView WLED-backlit 1366 x 768 resolution, MaxxAudio Audio, 16GB SSD drive
- 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Celeron N2955U Processor
- Multi-format media reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC), 802.11 A/C, Bluetooth 4.0
- 1 x USB 3.0 port, 2 x USB 2.0 port, 1 x HDMI port, 1 x headphone/microphone jack, 3-cell, 36 WHr Li-ion Battery, Chrome OS, Weighs 3.6 lbs, Black Color
- 15.6" 1366 x 768 HD resolution LED backlight display; Intel HD Graphics 400
- Intel Celeron Dual-Core Processor N3060 (1.6GHz, Up to 2.48GHz)
- 4GB LPDDR3, 16GB eMMC; No Optical Drive
- 2 x USB 3.0 ,1 x HDMI port, 1 x headphone/speaker jack, Bluetooth 4.2, HD Webcam
- Google Chrome OS, 3-cell Battery
- 11.6" HD Display
- 32 GB eMMC storage: An embedded Multimedia Card provides reliable flash-based storage
- Dual-core Intel Celeron N4000 processor
- Dual front-facing speakers: Pump up the volume to your favorite music, movie or game.
- Windows 10 in S Mode: Experience the most secure Windows ever built.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE LAPTOP: The Chromebook C330 is equipped with a MediaTek MT8173C Processor, Chrome OS, 4 GB LPDDR3, 64 GB eMMC and so much more
- SLEEK & STYLISH DESIGN: Sleek, stylish and secure, this 360 degree convertible laptop is less than one inch thin and 2.6 lbs. light with a 11-inch FHD IPS Touch Display perfect for day-to-day computing and multimedia, on or offline
- POWERFUL PROCESSING: Enjoy powerful processing for daily tasks, LPDDR3 memory for multitasking, eMMC storage for quick boot-ups, fast software loading and additional 100 GB of cloud storage via Google Drive, all on your Lenovo Chromebook C330
- BUILT TO CONNECT US: Full I/O support comes standard on the Chromebook C330 with USB-C, SD and USB 3.0 for effortless connectivity
- EASY TO USE: The Lenovo Chromebook C330 is easy to use, offers built-in virus protection and keeps going with long battery life. No setup is needed, just a Google account so your emails, maps, docs, pics stay with you via cloud storage
- Chrome OS, Samsung Exynos 5250 Dual Core Processor
- Display: 11.6" LED HD 1366 x 768 16:9, Ports: HDMI, Headphone/MIC combo, 1 x USB 3.0 + 1 x USB 2.0, 3- in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC)
- Memory: 2 GB DDR3L RAM, 16GB Solid State Drive
- Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Webcam, 3W Stereo Speaker
- This Certified Refurbished product is certified factory refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day warranty.
- Zero Air Gap allows you to enjoy enhanced screen clarity even in sunlight, so you can enjoy content anywhere you go.
- Blazing fast Intel Celeron N3060 Dual-Core 1.60 GHz Processor
- With USB 3.0 easily transfer text and data files, photos and even movies at ten times the speed of USB 2.0.
- The 15.6" Display and 1366 x 768 resolution LCD HD will have you captivated.
- The flexible 360 Degree hinge and 12.5" full-HD touchscreen lets you use the C302 in tablet or laptop mode
- Intel Core Processor with 64GB storage and 4GB RAM for fast and efficient performance with a bright backlit illuminated keyboard
- Extremely lightweight at 2.65 pounds with the protection of a sleek aluminum metal body
- Starts up in seconds and lasts all day, thanks to a long battery life rated up to 10 hours
- Make sure latest chrome version is up to date and is using the device in stable channel
OETJobs.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Last update on 2019-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API