Online ESL Teacher for Qkids
Summary(Review): Note: This Company is no longer in operation.Qkids are strict when it comes to hiring teachers that are based in the United States and Canada. They also have an English teaching program in China. The degree requirement is either you’re holding a Bachelor’s degree or currently pursuing one from an accredited college. You’ll be teaching up to 4 students per class where children aged around 5-12. You will be working on the typical peak hours in China, where classes are running between 6:40 pm and 9:10 pm on the weekdays and additional late-night Friday and Saturday hours from 8:40-11:50 pm for 30-min class each. QKids doesn’t seem like the best pay around the blocks, ranging from $16-20 per hour, but so far we heard great reviews from teachers who have taught them. The teaching materials are provided, and its computer program seems like one of the most interactive and joyful ones out there. Minimal 6 hours commitment per week. Qkids is founded in 2015 as JiuQu English and 97 kid and as of September 2017, they rebranded to QKids. HQ in Fujian, China.
Job Overview for Online ESL Teacher
Pay Rate per Hour:
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
Job Details for Online ESL Teacher
Native North American
Bachelor or above
Min Hours Week:
Min Uploading: 2 MB/s
Min Downloading: 10 MB/s
Online ESL Teacher Job Description
- Hourly Rate: $16 – 20 per hour (2 lessons)
- Student Age Group: age 5-12
- Class Size: up to 4 students
- Class Length: 30 min
- The number of Class Session per week:
- Class Schedule:
- 7 days a week. 6:40-7:10pm, 7:20-7:50pm, 8:00-8:30pm, 8:40-9:10pm
- Plus Friday and Saturday. 8:40-9:10pm, 9:20-9:50pm, 10:00-10:30pm, 10:40-11:10pm, 11:20-11:50pm.
- (Beijing time)
- Contract term: 6 months
- Interactive Platform
- Lessons fully designed and gamified – no lesson planning
How much time do I need to commit to this job?
What are the available time slots?
Regular class time slots:
- 7 days a week (Beijing time)
- 5:40 – 8:10 pm
- Plus Friday and Saturday
- 7:40 – 10:50 pm
Online ESL Teacher Job Requirements
- Minimal time commitment: Min 6 hours per week
- Bachelor’s degree or above
- Native English Speakers from the US or Canada only. Due to their technical limitations in the Internet server, QKids only hire teachers physically living in the US and Canada. Eligible to legally work in the U.S. or Canada
- Teaching license or English teaching certificate (TESOL, TEFL, CELTA, ESL) required before lessons assigned
- Prior teaching experience or equivalent in education, tutoring, mentoring, or homeschooling
Online ESL Teacher Salary and Compensation
How much do I get paid?
*The base pay is $8 USD per lesson. You can also earn attendance bonus and performance bonus, $1 USD each, calculated weekly. With full bonuses, the pay is $10 per lesson.
How and when will I be paid?
How much tax do I need to pay?
I am a resident of Canada, do I get paid in US dollars?
How long is the contract? Can I take time off?
How to Apply to Online ESL Teacher?
Online ESL Teacher Interview Process & Tips
In Demo Interview 1, you will spend most of your time demonstrating technical proficiency (i.e. knowledge of the Qkids’ teaching platform buttons, tools, and how to manage sound and video quality). Then you will answer a few questions about teaching and student interactions.
In Demo Interview 2, you will have a full Q&A interview session for about 25 minutes. Afterward, you will briefly demonstrate some of your teaching skills and personality.
Company Information for Qkids
Qkids is a leading online education platform that connects North American English teachers with over 1 million international students from ages 4 to 12 years old. Using a narrative game-based curriculum, teachers guide students through fun and dynamic learning experiences while in the comfort of their own homes. Qkids’ unique patented platform is user-friendly and engaging for teachers and students alike. Founded in 2015, Qkids has become a national leader in cross-cultural online learning and established offices in Shenzhen, Xiamen, Guangzhou, and Beijing. The company has completed its Series C1 financing round led by Baidu and is poised to build lasting growth across the world.
Online ESL Teacher Reviews
- A computer with a webcam
- A headset with microphone
- Stable Internet connection (cable connection preferred)
- You will be teaching through Qkids patented and interactive gaming-based learning platform. All curricula are preset and incorporated with animated characters and games.
Here are the time slots available for teachers. Please note that the times are formatted in Eastern Time (Boston time). A minimum of 12 lessons is required per week.