Review: VIPKID are typically actively hiring, and they are probably the most significant online English school for teaching Chinese children. The pay rate is good at $14-$22, and there are a lot of reviews online. The Beijing peak times are Mon-Fri 6-10pm and Sat-Sun 9am–10pm. You must have a North American(US/Canadian) accent and be a citizen of either country. However, you can live and teach from anywhere in the world. They do require a college degree in any type of field. Lastly, a year of experience with children is required (teaching, homeschooling, coaching, mentoring, volunteering with kids, etc.).
Job Overview for VIPKID
Pay Rate per Hour
Teaching Experience in Years
Minimal Hours per week
Internet Speed (MB/s)
- $14-$22 per hour. teachers receive a minimum payment of US $14-$18/hour. There are incentives for every lesson, so the payment ranges from the US $14-22/hour.
- Flexibility with No minimum hours and no set schedule
- Curriculum provided
- An amazing community of 40,000 teachers
- All VIPKID classes are one-on-one
- Teaching materials, VIPKID curriculum team has already designed materials for every class. However, teachers must prepare for class by reviewing the class materials beforehand. Teachers may preview class materials in the classroom on the teacher portal 6-12 hours in advance.
- Do teachers need to communicate with parents? No, VIPKID office staff will communicate with parents.
- Do teachers always teach the same students? No, teachers teach any student who books their class.
- Each class is guaranteed 25 minutes of active teaching time. After that, teachers may take a few minutes to leave comments. The total time commitment is 30 minutes per class, not including preparation time. 3 minutes are allowed for possible tech problems before a class is cancelled.
- In order to maximize the number of classes you could get scheduled, we recommend you to be available for at least 7.5 hours (15 time slots per week at 30 minutes per time slot) during Beijing peak times. The following tends to be the most requested time periods in Beijing time: Monday-Friday 6-10pm, and Saturday-Sunday 9am–10pm. We do not require teachers to work full shifts; but having availability during the times mentioned above could ensure a higher possibility of being booked by our students.
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
- 1 school year of traditional teaching experience or the equivalent in mentoring, tutoring, or alternative education
- Following tech requirements:
As an independent contractor, your payment or “service fee” is calculated on a per-class basis (scheduled in 30-minute slots) and is composed of a minimum pay between $7-9 + incentives. Your minimum pay will be determined by your demo class performance, while incentives by your monthly class participation and completion as a VIPKID teacher.
- When and how will teachers be paid? Teachers are paid through direct bank deposits between the 10th and 15th of each month.
- VIPKID signs 6-month contracts with applicants who pass their screening process. Please inform VIPKID 2 weeks in advance if you want to take time off during your contract.
Teachers must enter their weekly availability one month in advance. Teachers’ weekly schedules are sent out each Saturday at 10AM Beijing time. Teachers can be booked for classes during the week, no less than 24 hours in advance. VIPKID encourages all teachers to check their emails and their schedule in the system daily.
In order to maximize the number of classes you could get scheduled, we recommend you to be available for at least 7.5 hours (15-time slots per week at 30 minutes per time slot) during Beijing peak times. The following tends to be the most requested time periods in Beijing time: Monday – Friday 6-10pm, and Saturday – Sunday 9am-10pm. We do not require teachers to work full shifts, but having availability during the times mentioned above could ensure a higher possibility of being booked by our students.
VIPKID sets no limit on how much a teacher teaches during peak and non-peak time. Teachers have 100% control over their schedule. However, non-peak times are not popular amongst our students as they are not available for classes. Please also be advised that it can take up to a month to get a relatively steady stream of classes, as students and parents get to know and try new teachers. VIPKID makes no guarantee that a teacher will have a steady stream of classes.
- Practice the demo lesson PPTs.
- Take a look at our Applicant Performance Indicators so you know what we are looking for in candidates.
- Teach from a place with good background and lighting.
- Good Internet connection.
There Are three Mentors Available For Qualified Teachers
Tina – Mentor for VIPKID
Visit Tina’s website
Tameka is currently working with VIPKID and is a real wealth of knowledge. She provides information and help through Facebook and Instagram. For those of you on Facebook, she is the administrator of the VIPKID Teachers of Color Facebook Community along with a few other Facebook groups. She has a failry active Instagram account as well. Take a listen to her video and read more information about her journey and VIPKID here.
Keri – Mentor for VIPKID
VIPKid is the leading global online K12 education leader and #1 Company for Remote Jobs by Forbes (as rated by FlexJobs). We’ve created a live, one-on-one online learning platform that matches motivated kids studying English in China with inspiring teachers like you. Also rated in Fast Company’s top 50 Most Innovative Company in the World we work with educational partners like ETS, TESOL and National Geographic Learning to develop the best curriculum and cutting-edge platform.
Founded in 2013 and formally launched in 2014 after a year of piloting and curriculum development, we have become China’s market-leading education startup, with offices in both China and the US.