Review: iTutorGroup, also know as TutorABC and VIPABC, is from Taiwan, which has been around since 1998. The base pay rate is significantly more favorable to teachers from US/UK/Canada. If you are with them for long enough and live in certain countries you can make over $20 an hour, but the rest are relatively low pay, which can be $8-11 per hour. In the past teachers have been able to make up to $30 per hour, but that does not seem to be as common as it used to be. The class range from individual to small groups of up to six students. They provide extremely easy to use materials. You can teach children and/or adult business professionals. iTutorGroup has branches like iTutor, TutorABC, VIPJr, VIPABC, TutorJr, TutorMing (teach Chinese). Note: in our group, there are those who love iTutorGroup and those who absolutely hate them. Very mixed reviews. The pay gap between Native and Non-native is quite significant. The pay rate also varies depending on your current location.
Job Overview for iTutorGroup
Pay Rate per Hour:
one-on-one or up to 6
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
High School & College Prep (age 15-18)
Adult (age 18+)
Early Morning (6am-9am)
Job Requirements for iTutorGroup
Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Native South Africa
Bachelor or above
Min Hours Week:
Min Uploading: MB/s
Min Downloading: MB/s
We work iTutorGroup and many others. We help you to land a job quicker and smoother by not only allow you to submit one application and match you with MULTIPLE Online ESL companies based on your teaching preferences and qualifications, but also assist the interview process and communication with the recruiters.
iTutorGroup Job Requirements
- Minimal weekly commitment: Min 10 hours
- Bachelor’s degree or above
- Native English Speakers preferred and non-native with a neutral accent
- TESOL/TEFL Certification (or willingness to obtain it)
- Teaching experience preferred
- Passionate and patient teaching children
- 10 Total weekly hour commitment – 7 hours on weekdays and 3 hours on weekends
- TEFL/TESOL/CELTA or other teaching certificate preferred or willing to obtain one.
- Teaching experience preferred
- Mac – OS version needs to be 10.9 or above. Intel Core 2 Duo or above CPU
Windows – 7/8 (latest service packs) Intel Core 2 Duo / Pentium G series or above CPU AMD Athlon 64×2 4400+ or above CPU
- 2 GB RAM
- Broadband Internet connection by Ethernet cable
- 1280×1024 minimum resolution
- HD capable Webcam
- Analog or USB Headset(Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 preferred)
iTutorGroup Job Description
- Hourly Rate: $14 – 24 per hour (*Only applicable to native English speakers)
- Student Age Group: age 5-18 and adult
- Class Size: One-on-one or up to 6 students per class
- Class Length: 25 min for junior and 45 min for an adult lesson
- The number of Class Session per week:
- Class Schedule: 24/7 around the clock
- *Peak hours. Mon – Fri: 19:30 – 22:30
- *Peak hours. Sat & Sun 9:30, 10:30, 13:30, 14:30, 19:30, 20:30
- (Beijing time)
iTutorGroup Salary and Compensation
- Pay Monthly (iTutorGroup is very punctual in payment!)
- 24/7 class, you can teach anytime! with guarantee peak hours.
- Greater and guarantee pay with Fix rate pay structure instead of base pay, fewer conditions.
How to Apply to iTutorGroup?
Oakary works directly with iTutorGroup and many others. It helps you land a job quicker and smoother by not only allow you to submit one application and match you with MULTIPLE Online ESL companies based on your teaching preferences and qualifications, but also assist the interview process and communication with the recruiters. Learn more
iTutorGroup Interview Process & Tips
School Info of iTutorGroup
Guaranteed Peak Hours
A key benefit that iTutorGroup offers that many don’t is the Guaranteed Peak Hours, therefore the minimal commitment to work for iTutorGroup is 7 hours during the weekday and 3 hours during the weekend. There is no cap of the maximum hours you can teach, plus their additional teaching hour incentive, you can earn even more by teaching more hours. On top of that, iTutorGroup has a flexible class schedule which opening 24/7, which mean you can teach student anytime instead of crammed into a few hours of a time slot. The pay is a monthly basis.
Be Aware of the Hourly Rate
Note that there’re several variables would affect your hourly rate,
- Teaching experience
- The pay depends on the region you live and where you from. The hourly rate is more favorable for teachers from US/UK/Canada.
- Candidates from US/UK/Canada are using Fixed rate; the rest of the world are Base Rate + Bonus
- Candidates from US/UK/Canada have a higher minimal hourly rate compare to others.
Fixed Rate vs. Base Rate + Bonus
- Candidates from US/UK/Canada: The total earning per session = Fixed Rate
- Candidates from the rest of the world: The total earning per session = Base Hourly Rate + Bonus
First and foremost, one of the most important recent updates is that iTutorGroup removed the pay structure that is strongly related to the students’ ratings (but US/UK/Canada only), which means it is now Fixed Rate instead of conditional base pay rate plus bonus. No more worry about losing a bonus because student forgets to give you a rating after a class! As a result, greater and more guaranteed pay with Fix Rate pay structure instead of base pay with conditions. Depending on your teaching experience and qualification, the pay rate can be up to $24 per hour.
However, there’s a catch. Fix rate ONLY applies to candidates from US/UK/Canada, others are still subject to the dynamic rate (base rate + bonus). Regarding the bonus calculation, the session bonus is associated with both the rating given by the clients and the number of clients in a session. In plain English, more students taught in one session and higher ratings yield greater pay. Consultants are reevaluated for base rate increase related to the performance and time contribution on a monthly basis.
iTutorGroup is a fairly large English teaching institute, especially in China, Japan, and Taiwan regions, which is especially great if you’re interested about teaching adult where you can learn more about the East Asian culture or learn Chinese and Japanese from your business professionals students! iTutorGroup is the only few institutes that offer adult English lessons. However, that said the majority of the demand is still for children’s classes.
iTutorGroup has many branches, VIPABC, TutorABC, VIPJr, and TutorJr. It gets a bit confusing which students and materials you’re teaching for. There are 12 different English levels for both children and adult classes, if you obtain the “Jr” labeling on your system then you will have an opportunity to teach age 5-18.
- 12 different English levels.
- Adult class: 45-min session. 1~6 students. Level 4~12.
- Children class: 25-min session. One-on-one teaching. Level 1~11.
- OUP (Oxford University Press) material to make learning effective;
- DCGS (Dynamic Course Generation System) to find the material that suits you the best;
- Well designed materials targeting all age groups for the best learning experience.