Abroad ESL Teacher for English First
Job Overview for Abroad ESL Teacher:
Salary Per Month:
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
High School & College Prep (age 15-18)
Job Details for Abroad ESL Teacher
Bachelor or above
Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Native South Africa
Min Hours Per Week:
Abroad ESL Teacher Job Description
We have vacancies for teaching positions across China so if you prefer the fast paced city life like Shanghai, or want to be immersed in the more traditional culture of a smaller city, we probably have the position for you. We have both Kids & Teens schools and Adult schools in over 60 Cities in China.
About 20-25 hours will actually be spent in the classroom, teaching a class. An example schedule across the products will look like this:
- Monday: 2-8:30pm (three 1-hour classes)
- Tuesday: OFF
- Wednesday: OFF
- Thursday: 2-8:30pm (three 1-hour classes)
- Friday: 1:30-8:45pm (one 1-hour class and one 2-hour class)
- Saturday: 10-6pm (one 1-hour class and two 2-hour classes)
- Sunday: 10-6pm (three 2-hour classes)
OUT OF CLASS DUTIES
The hours outside of the classroom will be divided into prep time, admin work, and trainings.
- EF has the lesson plans and classroom materials already pre-planned for you. As you get to know your students, you can tailor some of the lessons to meet the needs and personalities of your students. As long as the objectives are being met, there’s nothing wrong with putting your own spin on the lessons!
- Admin work entails progress reports, open lessons, correcting tests, evaluating homework, and parent-teacher conferences (Kids & Teens products only).
- Schools also conduct in-center trainings for you to participate in with a varying range of topics to help you become a better teacher and give you transferable skills that you can use in the future.
TEACHING ENGLISH ABROAD IN CHINA
Teaching English abroad in China could be the opportunity that you have been looking for. Today, China is one of the largest ESL markets in the world. This has allowed trustworthy companies like English First to grow and expand. EF now has over 300 schools across 60 cities, meaning that you can teach almost anywhere in the country. With a growing network of schools and teachers, there’s no better time to be an English teacher in China.
As well as career opportunities, China also offers unrivalled travel opportunities. The “Middle Kingdom”, has over 5,000 years of recorded history and over 50 UNESCO world heritage sites. China now has low-cost and easy to access transport networks. You will soon find that you’re never far from somewhere incredible to visit. Teaching in China is an opportunity not to be missed.
TEACH ENGLISH OVERSEAS IN INDONESIA
If you’re looking for something more tropical, then look no further. Indonesia is a breathtaking country made up of 13,000 islands. At a glance, Indonesia is a tourist hotspot, with Bali and Yogyakarta stealing the limelight. To locals and those in the know, it is much more than that. Indonesia is extremely diverse, both in terms of its environment and its culture.
Should you decide to teach English abroad in Indonesia, then you have come to the right place. EF English First in Indonesia currently has over 77 schools across the country. You can choose the location that’s right for you and enjoy the support from the moment you apply, and throughout your time at EF.
TEACHING ENGLISH OVERSEAS IN RUSSIA
Russia is the world’s largest country bordering both Europe and Asia. Much of the country is made up of diverse landscapes, ranging from forest to arctic desert and open plains. The majority of the Russian population, live in urban cities around the country. Due to its size and geography, Russia is a company steeped in history and tradition. English teachers in the country often move there to explore the rich art scene and spectacular architecture.
EF English First has English Schools in various locations in Russia, but most notably, Moscow and St. Petersburg. Due to fewer schools in the region, English teaching positions are highly competitive. As a teacher, you can join us at one of our kids and teens schools, or you can teach adults. All positions come with legal working visas, competitive local salaries and career advancement opportunities.
Is there a specific start date for the job?
You can apply and start to teach with EF any time as the Visa process normally take 3 to 4 months. We have limited vacancies all year round.
If you are graduating this year, you can start teaching after you have the certificate. However, the best time to apply is now so you have plenty of time to prepare.
Are there any fees during the application process?
No. There are some visa-related fees associated with obtaining a work permit, but EF English First will reimburse these. This is a full-time salaried position.
Abroad ESL Teacher Job Requirements
- Have a bachelor’s degree in any subject
- Have a TEFL certification (sponsorship is available)
- Be able to teach English abroad for at least one year
- Be able to obtain a clear background check
- Be from the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa.
- Degree. In order to educate Chinese students, we need you to be educated as well by at least possessing a Bachelor’s degree. We aren’t picky about what your major is or what subjects you studied. As long as you have your original degree from your 4-year university (or equivalent), we’ll consider your application.
- Passport. The reasoning behind this is simple; in order to be a teacher of English, you need to hold a passport from one of the following English speaking countries; the US, the UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
- TEFL. This position requires a 120-hour TEFL certification in order to consider your application. Don’t have one? Don’t fret – EF offers full sponsorship for a 120-hour online TEFL course for you to take advantage of. Are you more experienced and have a PGCE, CertTESOL, or equivalent? We’ll compensate you for having higher qualifications and putting in the extra effort!
I don’t have a teaching background, can I still apply?
Yes. Previous teaching experience is not necessary, but is valued if you have it. We will give you all the skills you need to help you feel confident standing in a classroom. As long as you have a bachelor’s degree in any subject we can help you with the rest.
Abroad ESL Teacher Salary and Compensation
How to Apply to Abroad ESL Teacher?
Company Information for English First
EF English First is the world’s leading privately owned education company. Founded in 1965, EF operates in over 50 countries around the world.
EF English First provides foreign language learning opportunities for students in a local setting. We hire people who are interested in teaching ESL and experiencing life abroad in China or Russia.
We offer competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits and hundreds of opportunities for professional development through our teacher training and certification programs.
EF English First is a division of EF Education First (commonly referred to as EF) and was founded by Bertil Hult in Lund, Sweden. Today, EF is the world’s largest private educational organization. We are a multi-national company with over 500 offices in 50 countries. Today 37,000 EF staff, faculty and teachers help people of all ages and nationalities explore the world in which they live. Every year we encourage about two million people to expand their own personal horizons and learn a language with EF.