Why Teach at Magic Ears?
- No minimal weekly teaching hour commitment. However, we recommend you open about 4 hours per week of availability, otherwise might affect the chance you getting students.
- Magic Ears will schedule the class for you to teach, so easier to get booked than parents/students do the booking. The guaranteed hours will increase as you rank up and building up trust and good reviews from the parents/students.
- Outstanding and interactive English teaching/learning platform with built-in games, video, and songs.
- Some teachers reported a lack of care for teachers. However, the majority of the teachers do enjoy working there and Magic Ears is very responsive, pay well, and pay on time.
How is the class scheduled and booked?
- Mon – Fri: 6:30pm – 9pm (BJT)
- Sat & Sun: 9am – 9pm (BJT)
- No minimal hour commitment.
Magic Ears will deal with the booking and scheduling for you, instead of booking by the parents/students.
All new teachers start out as Freshmen rank and have limited slots open. After you teach your first 10 classes, you can rank up to Benchmark (can open full schedule but not high bookings) or Junior (about 50-60% of your open slots booked). After 100 classes you can rank to Senior if you’re in the top 20% of teacher feedback, and you’ll be guaranteed for 80% of your open slots to be booked. Magic Master is for those in the top 5% of feedback and has 100% of opened slots guaranteed.
Do I get the same recurring students or different students each time?
How flexible is the teaching hours?
You can schedule availability for up to 4 weeks at a time and schedule at least 2 weeks ahead. The earlier the class scheduling and better class planning will get you classes booked.
For the first 10 classes, you will have 3 set slots available to you — 7:30pm, 8pm, and 8:30pm Beijing time.
Once you have done with the 10th class evaluation, you’ll able to open different time.
What’s the interview process?
- A short video interview
- 15-min Demo lesson – given a choice of 4 different lessons of varying levels
- 90-min group training (paid)
- The first trial class (paid) with 4 real students
What’s the compensation and bonus structure?
- Base pay: $9 per 25-min class ($18 per hour) or $10 ($20 per hour) If you have a Bachelors or Masters in Education + ESL certificate + 5 or more years teaching experience. ($24 per hour with the additional bonus).
- $1/class you teach if you enter your first class of the day 10 minutes early.
- $1/class if you open 60+ slots for availability per month.
- This brings the total to $11 (9 + 1 + 1) per 25-minute class, or $22 an hour.
- Base rate raise: an opportunity to receive a raise for outstanding teaching performance every 6 months (max $26/hr).
- What’s the bonus structure based on? Attendance, student rating, reviews, etc.
In the case of an emergency or illness, you can cancel, penalty-free, at any time.
- Sick cancellations: Magic Ears would rather you rest than teaching uncomfortably. You will NOT be penalized for having to cancel due to illness.
- Emergency Cancellations: This includes natural disasters, power outages, family emergencies, etc.
- Non-Emergency/Non-Sick Cancellations: You get 2 days of non-emergency/non-sick cancellations per month.
- These cancellations need to be made at least 24 hours in advance avoid penalty.
- Cancellations within 24 hours, but prior to 2 hours, will be penalized $10;
- Cancellations within 2 hours will be considered as absent, which is $20 penalty and can result in a class suspension of up to one week. 2 absences within one contract (6 months) can potentially result contract termination.
- Open Slot Cancellations: Open slots can be closed and opened at any time without penalties
What’s the payment period and method?
- Payment period – monthly
- Payment method? PayPal or bank transfer
Ready to teach for Magic Ears? Read the job requirements and Apply here