Online ESL Teacher for On Cub
Summary(Review): On Cub school is currently no jobs available so you will have to check back at another time. The school is out of the Philippines and the pay fluctuates depending on where you live. You will work only on the weekdays and have the weekends off. Each lesson is 50 minutes long and you have a 10-minute break before the next one. Average minimum of 13,000 pesos up to 35,000 pesos per month based on 8-hour working conditions per day. You will be teaching both adults and children through Skype. The starting rate is 90 pesos per hour and you can earn as much as 150 pesos as you perform better than others plus other benefits/incentives.
Job Overview for Online ESL Teacher
Pay Rate per Hour:
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
High School & College Prep (age 15-18)
Late Afternoon (3pm-6pm)
Job Details for Online ESL Teacher
Min Hours Week:
Min Uploading: MB/s
Min Downloading: MB/s
Online ESL Teacher Job Description
- Total 8 hours of working
- Fixed schedule
- No part-time job available at the moment
- On each hour, you will be working for 50 minutes and you will also have 10 minutes of rest.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- Is working time fixed? Yes, it is fixed. We have required working times which are 5 am to 8 am and 6 pm to 11 pm. The reason that we have the fixed schedule is most Korean students are available for those times.
- Saturday and Sunday
- Oncub Holidays (19 days a year)
- 12 Vacation days in a year
Online ESL Teacher Job Requirements
Online ESL Teacher Salary and Compensation
We pay you through BPI bank. Opening a BPI account is free in any branches in the Philippines. Depending on your location, your BPI bank may require minimum of P100 for the minimum deposit.
How to Apply to Online ESL Teacher?
Online ESL Teacher Interview Process & Tips
3 simple steps to become an Oncub teacher!
1. Application and interview
- By submitting your application on our website, you will be able to take the first step to becoming an Oncub teacher. Schedule for an interview, choose a time slot that is best for your availability!
All interviews will be conducted via Skype
Make sure that you have a working Skype ID before you submit your application. You may download the application and create your account here.
Some useful articles to help you prepare:
- How do I make sure that my Skype ID is discoverable?
- How to check if you are using your headset’s microphone on Skype
Without the right tools, you cannot work with us no matter how great you are as an English teacher. Make sure that your technical setup is within the scope of Oncub standards. Click here to learn more.
As of now, the starting rate is 90 pesos per hour. You can earn as much as 150 pesos as you perform better than others plus other benefits/incentives.
We do not want or care for an applicant who has only good ability but without good personality.
- Being Humble vs. Having a Big Ego – A person who has big ego cannot fit in any difficult circumstance. We want someone who is humble enough to accept challenges and overcome difficulties with us. We want someone who considers themselves as one of our family members.
- Eagerness – Someone who badly needs this job will get it. Do not think of experiencing this job only for your resume. Think it as a life time career. We do not want to waste our time for people who are not passionate enough about building their career with us. There are a lot of people who are eager to get this job, we can only give chances for those who are desperate.
- Sense – We can tell who has it and who does not. The level of intelligence is one important aspect when it comes to learning new things. We need someone who can potentially learn things fast and understand what students and Oncub want from you.
- Appearance – It matters a lot in Korea. We know the fact that you are not going to live in Korea. However, since you will deal with Korean students your appearance will matter when it comes to gaining students. Whether women or men, they all care about one’s appearance. The reason is that someone who knows how to care about themselves simply knows how to care about something. TextIf you look fat with messy hair and wear a dirty t-shirt, no one will like to talk to you. We are not looking for pretty women either, but we want someone who knows how to look presentable to work with us.
English ability can be obtained only if you have constantly studied and worked on it.
- Pronunciation – Filipinos often mispronounce T, P, K sound. Filipinos themselves do not notice this issue. However, since Koreans can differentiate between American T, P, K which is ㅌ, ㅍ, ㅋ and Filipino T, P, K that sounds more like ㄸ, ㅃ, ㄲ in Korean.
- Accent – We are very sorry to say but having a thick Filipino accent would be unacceptable. The reason is that most Korean students are familiar with American English accent, but not British or Australian or Filipino. Also, Koreans study based on American English. So when it comes to Filipino accent, when Koreans hear it for the first time it could sound funny or weird. Your accent may not be exactly the same as Americans, but as long as you have a neutral accent, there will not be any issue.
- Sentence structure – If you cannot make a right sentence, you may lead our students to speak with wrong sentences. It can be quite problematic. Students may ask their Korean English teachers or American teachers in their school to check whether the sentences you have taught them is right or wrong. English in Korea is more on English grammar. So many students are familiar with grammar rules, but they cannot speak English since there is no speaking test in most schools. That is why your job is to lead our students to speak English more often during the lessons.
Pass the interview to undergo training. During this phase, we will test your punctuality and learning capability.
During the training, we will test your punctuality and patience. You will watch our training videos where you will learn everything that you need to know about how things work in the company.
To learn more about the training, click here.
After the training, take the exam to become an Oncub teacher!
All the questions will be based on the training videos that you will watch. So as long as you have a good level of comprehension, you will definitely pass the exam. The purpose of this is to make sure that you are ready to take on lessons after the training. Make sure that you understand and remember everything in the training videos and practice them once you start having students.
Company Information for On Cub
When the current CEO of the company – Andrew Lee was in the Philippines in 2009, he saw an English learning school where each Filipino teachers taught English in a small room where only the teacher and a student can fit in. The rooms were called “Cubicle”.
One on one teaching was an interesting concept for most Korean students. In Korea, a class is conducted in a classroom where many students, easily lose their focus, whereas the cubicle setup which has only the teacher and a student increases their focus.
The cubicle was a great concept, however Filipino teachers in the school were not paid well.
Mr. Andrew thought he could improve it in his own business. He thought that everything should be on the internet so that there will not be any unnecessary expenses instead of having an office or a school that cost a lot of money for rent. On the contrary, he have planned to pay Filipino teachers more.
After his trip to the Philippines, he made his own school on the internet in South Korea. He named this school, “Online Cubicle” which he abbreviated to “Oncub”.
By putting everything on the internet, he solved many problems that a typical office or a school has.
The following are some of the major problems that have been solved;
First, teachers salary has increased more than 200%.
Second, tuition fee for students decreased substantially.
Third, teachers or students do not need to commute to work or study.
Oncub is all about its employees. Even if how great his idea was, without great Filipino teachers, Oncub could not exist today. Filipino English teachers are better English speakers in comparison to typical Korean English teachers. Korean English teachers only focus on English grammar rules and reading, and often ignore teaching a fun part of English. However, Filipino teachers always smile and passionate in speaking and communication in English. That is why Korean students enjoy learning English with Filipino teachers.
Korean students have not been encouraged enough in their school system. Often, the strict Korean education system leads students to lose motivation in learning. However, Filipino teachers are such friendly and passionate people who know how to encourage their students.
Many Korean students have been helped since the business was established. They appreciate those hard working Filipino teachers.
Mr. Andrew often say that “I was lucky that I have found many passionate and hard working Filipino teachers”. These great Filipino English teachers have helped a lot of Korean students. Many Korean students appreciate the fact that they have learned so much from their Filipino teachers with fun. Mr. Andrew also said that “I appreciate the Philippines and its very kind people who allow this great thing happens to Korean people”.
K-POP and K-Drama became so popular in the Philippines. Many Filipino English teachers are passionate in learning Korean cultures and even the Korean language. We believe that we both have the same feeling and heart deep inside, even if our cultures, or the way we look may different, we have the same feeling and emotion. This is probably the reason why Korean and Filipino students are the best match.
Oncub is like a family. We consider each of our teachers like family. We believe that the only way to achieve success for all of us is to treat each members of Oncub like a family.
Oncub encourage and serve its teachers at the best. It makes Oncub the best place to work in. Also, teachers perform the best. As the result, teachers bring a high salary. We know the fact that the salary is not only for themselves. Many Oncub teachers spend money for their family. Thus, it makes us more responsible.
The place where its employees are happy and proud.
After working for some months in Oncub, many of our teachers find working in Oncub is full-feeling. Korean students give tremendous respect for those great Filipino teachers. Family become more proud of them.
Filipinos are kind and warm hearted people. Often abused by some bad businesses that do not pay fair amount for their people. In Oncub, employees are the most important. We serve our employees at best. Mr. Andrew believes that nothing is more important than employees in any businesses.
We are going to make sure that you will have a good income for you and your family. Oncub is looking forward to working with an amazing person like you soon.