Abroad ESL Teacher for Greenheart Travel
Summary(Review): Greenheart Travel is a non-profit provides cultural immersion programs by partnering with organizations and governments overseas.
Job Overview for Abroad ESL Teacher:
Salary Per Month:
Late Afternoon (3pm-6pm)
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
High School & College Prep (age 15-18)
Job Details for Abroad ESL Teacher
Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Native South Africa
Min Hours Per Week:
Abroad ESL Teacher Job Description
Teaching English Program
Teaching English abroad is an incredible way to fully immerse yourself in a new country and culture. Greenheart Travel’s teaching opportunities vary in destinations, contracts and start dates.
To help you get started here are a few details to consider:
What qualifications do I need to get a job teaching English abroad?
That will depend on the program that you choose. Almost all of our other programs require that applicants at least have a Bachelor’s degree in any subject. Some will require additional qualifications, like a TEFL/TESOL certificate or a teaching certification/license. Please see the individual program pages for specific qualification requirements.
All applicants should be enthusiastic, flexible, and adventurous!
Paid and Volunteer Teaching Positions:
While we encourage you to have a blast while on the program, it is important that our teachers take their teaching positions seriously. It is a job, after all!
Greenheart Travel offers various programs that allow you to teach and travel while receiving a stipend or salary while teaching abroad. Here is a breakdown of our paid teaching positions by paycheck.
The Money Makers:
Epic benefits, high teaching salaries and fully furnished accommodations are just a few or the perks for these lucrative positions.
- Teach in South Korea
- Benefits: paid vacation, flight reimbursement, accommodations
- Save up to $15,000 during a yearlong contract
- Rigorous application and hiring process
- Teach in China
- Benefits: free furnished apartment, flight reimbursements, paid vacations
- Private school placement means other foreign teachers at school!
- Salary $1500-$1900 per month
Will Work for Travel and Leisure:
Teaching in these countries allows you the opportunity to explore a new part of the world while earning enough for your weekend travels and a longer trip at the end of your contract.
- Teach in Myanmar
- Benefits: Assistance finding housing, basic language classes
- Paid monthly salary of around $800-$1,200 per month
- Placements are usually in private international or language schools
- Teach in Thailand
- Benefits: Assistance finding housing, week-long intensive orientation
- Paid monthly salary of around $900 per month
- Placements are in kindergartens, elementary, middle, and high schools
Short Term Contracts:
These programs are unpaid positions, but only require 3-month commitments and part-time hours during the week. Accommodations are provided with host families and include 2-3 meals a day as well as insurance. These programs allow you to live abroad for less than you spend on living expenses at home. Live in Italy for $350 a month? Yes please!
- Teach in Italy
- Teach in France
- Teach in Chile
As an English tutor in a homestay, you will teach informal English language lessons for 15 hours a week, and no teaching experience is necessary! This is a wonderful opportunity to dip your feet into life as an English teacher abroad without having to commit to a semester or yearlong contract.
Teaching in a Homestay allows you to:
- Live with a welcoming host family
- Gain tutoring experience with language lessons 15 hours per week
- Enjoy the independence and freedom to explore the area on your days off
- Spend 1 – 3 months living abroad
- Have host family accommodations and meals included in the program
While this is a volunteer position, the rewards of this meaningful cultural exchange experience carry on long after you return home!
Abroad ESL Teacher Job Requirements
Check the specific programs to see what the exact requirements are, but generally, you will need to:
- Be a citizen of an English-speaking country
- Have a bachelor’s degree*
- Have a TEFL certification*
- Be between 20-60 years old
*Not required for all programs – see program pages for specific details
Abroad ESL Teacher Salary and Compensation
Some programs don’t have direct government funding or have only limited government funding, so teachers who want to teach there must cover some of their own expenses. When programs cost money, we do try to keep them as cheap as possible (we are a non-profit!) but there are some costs associated with running a program when it does not have any direct funding. Depending on the country and program you choose, you could make money in the end, it all depends on what type of experience you want to have.
Program fees also go toward you! We have airport pickups, orientations, and also a pre-departure package with some Greenheart merchandise and other perks depending on the program. Program staff will be available to answer any questions before and after arrival. Read more here.
How to Apply to Abroad ESL Teacher?
Company Information for Greenheart Travel
Greenheart Travel is personally invested in providing cultural immersion programs that change lives, advance careers and create leaders. We achieve this by partnering with organizations and governments overseas that empower their local communities through experiential learning and practical development. We provide others with the same positive travel experiences in which we ourselves engage.
Through travel and cultural exchange, we help individuals reach their full potential, leading to a more tolerant, peaceful and environmentally sustainable world.
- 33 years of experience with cultural exchange programs
- Friendly, responsive, and professional support from program managers who all have teach abroad experience.
- Our alumni recommend us! GoOverseas.com Reviews // GoAbroad.com Reviews
- We make our program fees as inclusive as possible.
- Connect with alumni and others on the program via our Greenheart Travel only Facebook forums, before you even leave!
- Exclusive access to the Greenheart Atlas, our interactive program that will guide you through your cultural immersion experience before, during, and after your program
- Hands-on support and personal attention every step of the way
- 24/7 emergency phone number to reach a staff member at any time
- Pre-departure “Culture Shock and Adjustment” Webinar before you leave
- “Travel For A Change” T-shirt and other Greenheart merchandise
- Discounts for future Greenheart Travel programs
- We are a non-profit, mission-based organization
- Continued support throughout your contract
Abroad ESL Teacher Reviews
What is a Teach Abroad program?
Teach Abroad programs are structured programs that provide placement in schools throughout the countries we work in. These programs provide an ample amount of support and is a service for those who don’t feel comfortable finding work on their own. Programs will all have arrival orientations, a job and housing set up for you, 24/7 in-country staff and other perks like insurance, visa assistance and an alumni community. Each program has their own inclusions, so be sure to read the specific details for the program you’re interested in.
Teaching abroad is an incredible way to fully immerse yourself in a new country and culture by becoming part of your community for a significant amount of time as opposed to passing through on vacation. Greenheart Travel’s teaching opportunities vary in destinations, contracts and start dates. We are here to find what program will work best for you!
Do I have to be able to speak the language of the country I teach in?
No! It is not necessary to speak the local language of any of the programs we offer. In fact, the schools prefer that you only use English in the classroom to create a complete immersion experience for the students. However, having some knowledge of the local language will, of course, benefit your day-to-day life, help you negotiate, understand the culture and allow you to connect with your students and people in your community. You will receive some introductory lessons to the language during orientation, and your fellow teachers would love to help you learn the language once you are at your school!
Can I choose where I’m placed in the country I am going to?
This depends on the specific program you are applying to, but generally, you will not have a choice as to where you are placed. We take into account any requests and do our best to accommodate everyone’s wishes, but placements largely depend on demand in specific areas and which schools are interested in hiring you.
Will I be alone?
This completely depends on the placement, but most people have friends or other English teachers close by. Every placement is going to vary. Some teachers are at the same school as up to 5-10 other foreign teachers, but some teachers might be at their school as the only foreign English teacher.
Can I apply with a friend, spouse, or significant other?
Yes, you can definitely apply together! However, whether or not you will end up being placed together depends on the country and your flexibility. We guarantee that can place people together for Vietnam, Myanmar, and Thailand. Programs that provide accommodation with host families generally cannot place friends or couples together, as most families only have enough room for one teacher, but you can still apply together and live with different families.
Do I have to find my own accommodation?
No. Whether you are doing a homestay, host family, or classroom teach abroad Greenheart Travel will assist in getting you a place to stay.
Can I bring a pet or child?
No, you cannot bring your children or pets. The programs are not structured to accommodate dependents as there are many other logistics to keep in mind that we cannot guarantee we can meet. If you are bringing a pet or child with you abroad, it may be best to consider finding work on your own so you can guarantee proper housing, childcare, schooling, etc.