Job Overview for HESS
Salary per month:Minimal: $
Class Schedule:Morning (9am-12pm)
Late Afternoon (3pm-6pm)
Student Ages:Preschool (age 3-5)
Elementary & Junior (age 5-15)
Bachelor or above
Accent(s):Native North American
Native Australian/New Zealand
Native South Africa
Minimal Teaching Hours per week:20
- Class Length: 60, 90, 120 min
- Monthly Salary: up to NT$620/hour
- Class Size: 9~23
- Age Group: Age 3-6
- Work Hour per Week: Teachers are always guaranteed 20 hours per week and usually hover around an average of 25 -26. No caps.
- Class Schedule
- Mon – Fri: 9am~9pm
- Sat: 9am~6pm
- Sun: Off
- Working Location: Various locations in Taiwan
Job Overview for HESS
Pay Rate per Hour
Teaching Experience in Years
Minimal Hours per week
Internet Speed (MB/s)
- Native-level English speaker
- Passport holder from USA, CAN, UK, IRE, SA, AUS, or NZ
- Bachelor’s degree OR an associate degree with a TEFL/TESOL certificate
- One-year commitment
- Criminal record check
A teacher teaches a class for the length of the curriculum. Once the class ends, a teaching time slot closes and then reopens at another green slot (green blocks mean we are open as a school). So, you can see that our class hours go from 9am – 9pm (all classes end at 9). A teacher is not locked into the same schedule all year. Pieces will shift around at the end of each term/semester.
We may have cultural/academic events on some Sundays (4 – 5 such events a year), but we do not have classes on Sundays.
- Base pay rate is NT$620~680/hour based on experience
- Teachers paid for teaching time; time spent grading homework and preparing lessons is unpaid
Teaching Duties Stipend
- NT $3000 per month for class preparation work—e.g. for meetings, training, class preparation, etc.
- Minimum of 20 teaching hours per week, averaged over the month
- No maximum, so room to build experience
- Average of 26 teaching hours per week
- Yearly raise up to additional NT$40/hour, depending on performance
- The ceiling pay rate of NT$800 per hour
- Student Return-Rate Bonuses
First-year Contract Renewal Bonus
- Staff retention is an important priority for HESS. The purpose of this bonus is to encourage teachers to stay for a minimum of two years.
- NT $10,000 paid in the 6th month of the 2nd contract
- NT$15,000 at the end of the 24th month.
- Taiwan – Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung, Nationwide
- Korea – Seoul
- China – Shanghai, Tianjin, WuXi
Vacation, Sick Leave, and National Holidays
- 14 vacation days per year
- 6-8 days of national holidays per year
- Christmas is an optional work day
- 7 sick days per year
- 1 month of contract renewal extended leave (after 1st year)
- All days away from teaching are unpaid.
Assistance Learning Chinese
- Partnership with National Taiwan Normal University’s world-renowned Mandarin Training Center
- Flexible courses are offered online in real time with certified professors Ongoing Support
- Head Native Speaking Teacher or Area Manager
- Taiwanese co-teacher who teaches every other lesson or, for young learners, the matching Chinese curriculum
- “HESS Taiwan Adventure Guide” TEFL Certification Training Program
- Earn a TEFL certificate after completing HESS’ initial and follow-up training and the first year of practicum teaching
- HESS-sponsored resident visa and work permit
- National health insurance (appx. NT$300-500/mo)
- 18% for the first 183 consecutive days of each calendar year in Taiwan; 5% thereafter Tax returns – teachers are responsible for their taxes in Taiwan and their home countries.
How to Apply?
Founded in 1983, HESS International Educational Group is one of the largest and most recognized private language schools in Taiwan. We employ more than 600 native English-speaking teachers in 200+ HESS schools across Asia.
No. 107, Sec. 2, Minquan E. Rd., Zhongshan District, Taipei City 10468, Taiwan, R.O.C.
TEL: +886-2-2592-6998 ext. 10406