What You Should Know About Teaching English Abroad in Taichung, Taiwan
Taichung has gone through massive redevelopment, and now become an ideal destination for ESL teachers. A majority of Taiwanese voted in a 2013 survey for Taichung to be “the most livable city in Taiwan”. It isn’t as overwhelming and energetic as the capital Taipei, yet Taichung city got some of the best food, art scenes, natural trails, and hot springs! Here is everything you should know about teaching English abroad in Taichung, Taiwan.
Table of Contents
Taichung FactsLocated in central Taiwan, Taichung is the third most populous city in Taiwan, after Taipei and Kaohsiung, with a population of around 2.8 million. The subtropical weather here is known to be the best in Taiwan, with a milder winter as well as a cooler and drier summer
Some more fun facts about Taichung, Taiwan:
- The world’s biggest bicycle makers are all headquartered here in Taichung.
- Are you a fan of bubble tea (boba)? It was invented by a Taichung teahouse.
- Taichung city is very close to the mountains and some of the best attractions in Taiwan.
- There isn’t a rapid transport system in Taichung City yet, but the MRT lines are currently being constructed.
Why Teach English Abroad in Taichung, Taiwan?Depending on where you teach, your English teaching monthly salary range in Taichung would be around $1,000 to $2,500. If you teach ESL part-time, expect your pay to be around $15 to $20 per hour. The cost of living in Taichung is very affordable. The rent in Taichung is about $200 to $350 for a one-bedroom apartment. You’d pay less than $3 for a meal at a local, inexpensive restaurant (not those fancy Western-style dining!) Yet, you still get to enjoy the convenience and abundant entertainment activities of city life in Taichung. Don’t forget to try pearl milk tea and Sun Cakes in Taichung city. There are tons of traditional and Westerner-inspired bars and pubs, contributing to the exciting nightlife in this city. Taiwanese people are known to be friendly, and Taichung is called one of its most welcoming cities. Taichung is home to many wonderful attractions, such as Taiwan’s largest night market – Fengjia Night Market, the colorful Rainbow Village, and the lush green Gaomei Wetlands hike. Learn more about ESL teaching job salary, benefits and the cost of living in Taiwan here >
How to Get to Taichung from Taipei?
- By bus (2-hour ride): Take Tong-Lien Bus or Guo-Gung Bus (ticket price: ~ NT$ 100 – 300).
- By train (3-hour ride): Start from the Western Line station located in central Taichung (midrange ticket price: ~NT$ 300).
- By Taiwan High-Speed Rail (THSR) (50-minute ride): This is the fastest and most reliable way to travel from Taipei to Taichung (ticket price: ~NT$ 750).
- By plane (40-minute flight): This airport functions mostly as a domestic hub, while a large international terminal is being built. The price varies upon your time of booking.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.